Official Review: The Son of God Series Book 1

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Official Review: The Son of God Series Book 1

Post by Bomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Son of God Series Book 1" by Sharon Lindsay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Son of God Series Book 1: Unto Us by Sharon Lindsay is a historical fiction book about the life of Jesus Christ. It is a story that spans the time from his birth to his childhood.

The book begins by exploring the life of Mary, who is the mother of Jesus. She encounters an angel, and the angel proclaims the birth of the Messiah and John (the forerunner of Jesus). However, Mary is espoused to Joseph, and she is of Jewish descent. Mary’s parents find it hard to believe their daughter's story about an angel appearing to her. Later, Mary gets pregnant as prophesied. Joseph feels betrayed, and their trust in God is thoroughly tested. Jesus is born in Bethlehem, but the child faces strong opposition from King Herod. Herod believes that Jesus was born to take his place.

The author brings the entire story of Jesus and how others are affected by his birth to life. For instance, the impact of Herod’s decree, to execute all the children below the age of 2 in Bethlehem, on the populace. Herod orders the killings, but Jesus and his parents escape. The sentiments of the people involved are explored. Furthermore, the book provides valuable insight into the story of creation, the fall of man, and the account of the fallen angels.

I love the fictional elements of the book. The intricate and beautifully narrated plot is highly commendable. Mary’s pregnancy, Joseph’s dream, and their journey out of Israel and back are some of the scenes you should anticipate. The book helps one to understand Joseph’s perspective concerning accepting the responsibility of being the child’s father. The obligation of a father can be a herculean task, especially when it involves a child that is not his. Furthermore, the many challenges the parents face in trying to cope with a son that possesses God's Spirit and powers are expressed realistically. In addition, I appreciate the “index of character” section inserted at the end of the book. It helps to differentiate the fictional characters from the non-fictional ones.

I would have loved to read about how other children and neighbors (excluding relatives) feel and relate to Jesus through his growing years. Notwithstanding, I give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book is professionally edited, and it does not contain any noticeable grammatical error. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction books of religious themes. It can be used to teach children about the birth of Christ as well as assist in reaching out to non-believers in the Christian faith.

The Son of God Series Book 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I wasn't aware that Mary's parents didn't believe her about the visiting angel and the pregnancy, but it's understandable. I like that we get to see some of Joseph's perspective, as I feel he doesn't really get enough credit in the overall scheme of things. Thank you for your lovely review!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am never quite sure what to think about historical fiction about biblical events. I feel like I am supposed to like them, but they always fall flat for me. However, I am certainly glad you were able to enjoy the book. Thanks for the review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is a real down to earth approach to the biblical story of the birth of Jesus Christ. It also explores the effects of his birth on Joseph and Mary, his earthly parents. I am never bored to hear any good story of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Love your review.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Historical fiction is a hard genre for me especially when it is of a spiritual nature. So much personal interpritation, which I get its just fiction. But I just don't think I would like this. I appreciate the review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by Bomisope »

SABRADLEY wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 08:30 I wasn't aware that Mary's parents didn't believe her about the visiting angel and the pregnancy, but it's understandable. I like that we get to see some of Joseph's perspective, as I feel he doesn't really get enough credit in the overall scheme of things. Thank you for your lovely review!
Getting to have an idea of Joseph's perspective was one of the main reasons I love the book
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It sounds like a helpful tool to immerse yourself in the biblical setting and visualize what it was like. Of course, we must keep in mind that it’s historical fiction and not confuse the facts. It reminds me of much of Francine Rivers’ books. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
AkieCJ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AkieCJ »

It is helpful tool in helping us to regain our faith, and to have little background in Mary's pregnancy. It's a child friendly too.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like authors who take creative license and fill in the gaps of the Biblical narrative while staying true to the facts. I might look for this one.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

I really appreciate that the author stayed true to the Biblical history. We know so little about the human interactions involved in this period of Christ’s life, so I’m sure it rounds out the story quite well. While the Bible doesn’t tell us what Mary’s parent thought, the culture of the people, added to the natural reaction of a parent, help us to guess pretty well how that conversation may have gone. I hope to read this entire series one of these days.

Return to “Historical Fiction”