Review by Caretoread2018 -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caretoread2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caretoread2018.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Caretoread2018 -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Caretoread2018 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday: A novel of Reincarnation by Samyann begins with a horrific train accident bringing the two main characters together when Amanda Parker saves the life of a Chicago mounted police officer Mark Callahan, risking her own. Amanda and Mark both have a strange feeling that they know each other, but neither could figure out from where. Through utilizing the talents of Amanda's godmother, a psychiatrist, Amanda explores her previous life through past life regression.

Previously known as “Bonnie” a child in South Carolina during the civil war, Bonnie led a troubled past arriving in Chicago before the infamous Chicago fire in 1871. Bonnie’s father dies during the journey north, leaving her and her cousin Jack with their two black servants. As the two black individuals would not be free in Chicago, Bonnie and Jack were thus entrusted to the care of a complete stranger they met on the journey north. This individual raised Bonnie and her cousin Jack, dying during childbirth during the Chicago fire.

Amanda/Bonnie had faced many losses in her life of people she cared deeply for, thus making a lasting romantic relationship with Mark extremely difficult. This book is a romantic journey of what Amanda discovers through her past life regression, finally realizing that her and Mark are destined to be together.

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars. The characters were realistic, and the book kept me wanting to read more. I enjoyed the historical references to both the Civil War and the Chicago fire. Although referencing both of these events, this novel is not focused entirely on those time periods. The novel went back and forth between current time, and past life keeping the reader interested in both eras. This novel is well suited to any reader of historical fiction and romance. Although past life regression is followed closely during this novel, I would not discount it for those who do not believe in reincarnation. This is a book of fiction and should be read as such.

This novel was a quick read at just over 400 pages. The author kept the novel moving, and wanting the reader to discover how Amanda and Mark were linked through the past. The ending was not as expected, providing the reader with additional questions of how Amanda’s life would be different had certain circumstances not occurred. The first novel by this author has left me wanting to read more.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Caretoread2018's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brittany Sadler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-sadler.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Brittany Sadler »

Great review! I found I personally enjoined "Bonnie's" story more so than I did Amanda's.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Saakshi Iyer N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saakshi-iyer-n.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Saakshi Iyer N »

Great review! Per contra, I would have sung the praises of this book had the author affixed the segment on spiritual connection prior to copulation. The sexual union is particularized and amplified needlessly.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I have read this book and I loved the chemistry of lead characters Amanda and Mark. It was indeed an exciting read. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”