Official Review: Home Street by David Grant

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Official Review: Home Street by David Grant

Post by ccrews0408 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Home Street" by David Grant.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Home Street by David Grant is a modern day Christmas story centered around the main character, Paul. Paul is on a path of destruction that leads him to a near-death experience. During this experience, Paul is immersed in his past. He relives the events that shaped his life and molded him into the man he is today. From childhood to adulthood, he has the opportunity to reevaluate life choices, remember old hopes and dreams and reassess future plans. He faces the dangers of “what ifs” and has to be very careful not to interrupt life-changing events. Paul must learn what really matters in life and how to be accountable for his own actions. What he decides could be the difference between life and death.

Home Street is an action-packed novel that keeps you on the edge of your seat. This quick-read is fast-paced and dynamic. The author uses incredible imagery to accentuate an amazing storyline. As Paul relives his past, he is racing against the clock to figure out the significance of each memory. If he is unable to achieve this, he will be trapped reliving this memory forever. Some memories, such as reminiscing about his first love, wouldn’t be so bad to be trapped in. Others, on the other hand, such as reliving his tour in Iraq, would be a nightmare.

I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. As earlier stated, the author used such descriptive imagery, that you felt Paul’s pain, fear, happiness etc. Though Paul would constantly sabotage his happiness, you found yourself rooting for him to succeed and not give up. The other characters were also well-developed and believable. I found this book to be witty, humorous, exciting and enthralling. I would definitely rate this book as one of the best I’ve ever read. The ending also wrapped everything up with a nice bow, leaving no questions unanswered.

The one and only thing that kept me from giving this book a perfect 4 stars was the number of typos. In no way did it take away from the story for me, but there were over 10 typos. Mostly, the author just skipped a word here and there such as stating, “I was child,” instead of “I was a child” (page 11).

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Though there were many typos, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good action/ adventure. There is a large amount of profanity used in this book, so anyone sensitive to such language, may not be able to get past it.

Home Street
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ccrews0408's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Innnteresting! This sounds like a modern and different take on that classic, A Christmas Carol. I especially like that it's detrimental that Paul figure out the significance of each memory. I hope that, like Scrooge, Paul is able to figure it out and straighten out his life for the better before it's too late... Thanks for the great introduction!
ccrews0408

Post by ccrews0408 »

Thanks for the comment!!! I do hope you give this book a try. You will not be disappointed!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Your review has certainly relived what the author has written. I love action-packed, fast-paced stories. I will read this one in the future.
ccrews0408

Post by ccrews0408 »

Thanks! I know you will enjoy it.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice to hear that Paul actually had to consider his past and make priorities on what mattered. The book having more than 10 typhoes means that it needs some professional editing again. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thank you for good review telling the book was good to read at and it was like a modern day Christmas story and also you have clearly mentioned why you gave little rating for typos etc
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Historical Fiction”