Official Review: Kidnapped by Columbus by Marc Wilson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Official Review: Kidnapped by Columbus by Marc Wilson

Post by tarafarah7 »

I don't read too much historical fiction, as it isn't my preferred genre, but your review of today's BOTD now has me a bit curious. I'm going to step out of my comfort zone and give this one a try! No matter what, I'll walk away having learned something new. Thank you so much! :-)
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I think this will be an interesting read because I like history of the Indians. I have heard many stories about explorers going to new places, and making the people there believe there is something better than they life they have. That if they would just travel with the stranger they can teach them so much of their ways and they can teach their families when they return. But they never seem to return, the rather become slaves. So I think I would read just because of curiosity of what happened in this story.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for the review. It sounds like an interesting fiction story set in a controversial historical period. I only hope that the author has been sufficiently objective and that he has not let himself get carried away by the desire to look at what happened during the colonization of America exclusively with modern eyes.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

History always depicts the winner's outcome, so I think it will be refreshing to see the "loser's" side of things. Great job on your review.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
srensch1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srensch1.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by srensch1 »

This book looks to be unique in several respects. The point of view is the Taino's. The subject matter is unusual. Even in the first few pages, some of the characters are intriguing. I will definitely read it.
Seth018
Currently Reading: Tai Solarin
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Seth018 »

What a wonderful fictional book to behold. Being an African, I have been reading a lot about Columbus adventurous life, and this book tends to tell me more on what I need to know about him, and the history of colonial era of his time. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars, as I also congratulate the author for being the BOTD.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I read the sample and I really enjoyed it; however it seemed as though there were parts of sentences missing at parts. I downloaded the full.book. so hopefully it was just the sample because from what I read and your review I really enjoyed it. Despite ones views on Columbus, I am sure there is something to learn here. I also.love historical fiction and the plot as a whole seems very interesting. Thanks for the review.
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

Great review. Thanks for the review. I read both the sample and review of this book. Though it might not be as indepth as we would like it to be I think that I may still give it a read. I love learning about history and especially this particular type. It really helps to see how far we have come in terms of treatment of persons that are different .
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I salute you for having the courage to read this; when you know the ending isn't going to be happy, it takes strength to plunge in.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

The main character, Guarocuya, seems to have a lot to say about all chat he experienced in this novel. I'm curious on the liberty that the author took in writing this historical fiction. I'm a big fan of this genre, so I'm sure I would enjoy reading this book. It's sad that the definition of treating the Indians like humans was converting them to a religion that they did not believe. This really is a tragic period in history, and I would love to see how the author handles it. Thank you so much for your lovely review!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Well, this is a stunning review. The book sounds like it holds a point of view everyone should know about. I know for sure my knowledge of this time in history needs a tune up. Thanks for the beautifully written review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Thank you for the review. When I downloaded my sample it turned out all jumbled. I saw sentences ending without finishing and suddenly new paragraphs began. Very strange. I guess I received a bad copy since you said that it was very well edited. Thanks again.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'm actually a historical fiction fan and quickly tried to gain more information on Isabella and the Spanish Inquisition online. The religious fanaticism sounded complicated, thus I'm relying on this book to break it down in relatable terms. However, the fact that it's a bit difficult to draw the line between fact and fiction serves as a bit of a deterrent. Yet, I'm keeping an open mind, at least, until I read the actual sample. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Glad to hear that this book is well-structured and well-edited. Sad that the characters seem lacking in
complexity and depth. Nice review.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Thanks for the review. I don't enjoy historical fiction, so will pass reading it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”