Official Review: Kidnapped by Columbus by Marc Wilson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Re: Official Review: Kidnapped by Columbus by Marc Wilson

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm not a fan of historical fiction, however, I like the mix of mystery, tension and excitement attached to the story. Nice review!
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds intriguing, although the lack depth to the characters might be a problem for me. However, considering that it is a new, darker look at a side of history that is too often left out of textbooks, I think it would be worth the read. I've always been more interested in the lesser-told stories than the stories of the winners, but they're often the ones who write history. Thank you for the thorough, helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

For me this was an automatic must read. Since I live in a colony and an island where Tainos lived before Spanish killed all of them. Been Puertorrican I grew up learning Columbus stories at school. I saw the book's cover illustration and I was hooked. Looking forward to read it. Lucky I won a copy. Thanks.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I remember when I was a kid. Columbus was viewed as a hero. All these years later, and being a history major when I was in college, I learned more of the truth behind this tragic event in history. It's hard to view it as anything else but genocide (as you said). I love historical fiction so I'm pretty sure I will enjoy this book. Thrilled that I was able to win a copy in the bonus giveaway! Thanks so much for your insight on the book.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Michonos1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michonos1 »

Nice write-up, in the spirit of fairness and humanity every one deserve equal right and justice.
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

Wow, I can't believe I find this novel interesting, reason being that I'm not a fan of historical books but this review really got me salivating for more.. I guess I'll give it a try...thanks to the reviewer
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. This is a historical fiction about Colombus who returns with kidnapped Indians to Spain. The writing style is quite intriguing and would attract a lot of readers. Cheers :) :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
poeticDNA_
Currently Reading:

Post by poeticDNA_ »

Your review in general seems to struggle to get into. It’s a bit start and stop and confuses the reader at first, however once past that, this review looks to be really informative and intrigues the reader. Great job.

The book itself, although historical fiction, which I don’t read, seems like an enticing read I might actually take a look at some day. Therefore I thank you for this review.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I like the idea of Columbus's story to be told from the perspective of one of the 6 Tainos he kidnapped and took as a trophy to Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand. A revisionist view of history such as this help readers understand better colonialism and the fight for human rights and religious freedom. Thanks for a very interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I am not a fan of history and I think I would find this book a bore. Though, I'm positive that those that favor its genre would find it interesting. Congrats to author for winning BOTD.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Kidnapped by Columbus by Marc Wilson is a fiction based on, inspired by and culled from the history of Columbus' quest for new worlds. It is the story of a 14-year-old Taino boy, a pre-colonial American native in the New World and five other men from his tribe who were tricked by Columbus into his ship so he could present them as proofs to Queen Isabela of Spain that he reached India. Columbus remains a controversial figure from the era of Spain's world domination quest. This book attempts to tell the dark side of that era of world exploration, discovery and colonization that led to the decline, extermination or genocide of peoples from various faiths, tribes and cultures.

I got to read the Amazon sample of the book about Guarocuya, a curious boy who ended up as Columbus' trophy, a specimen from the New World. For those interested in the book, Libs_Books gives a thoughtful, well-written and insightful review of the book. She says Wilson's work covers the complexities and contradictions of Columbus and Queen Isabela; their ironic aim to turn Guarocuya into a Catholic who could be subject to the Spanish Inquisition; and Guarocuya's role in a rebellion against Spain. On the 4-star rating she gives the book, she writes: "This novel offers real insight into a very dark point in history and the kind of thinking that lay behind the terrible human tragedy that was to follow....I recommend it to all fans of historical fiction and those with an interest in colonialism, human rights and religious freedom."

I see the book as ambitious and daring in its intention to shine a light on an era in history that was both bright and exciting on one hand and tragic on another. It was when marvelous efforts to expand mankind's view of the world and to connect the world were sadly darkened by the destruction of other peoples' worlds, faiths, cultures and ways of life. This is highly recommended to fans of history in the age of conquests, discovery and imperialism.
Last edited by Shas F on 09 Oct 2018, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Faith Osborn
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Faith Osborn »

I'm a lover of histories the first few pages I read intrigues me I'm yet to finish it but I'm pretty sure this book is a great one.I can't wait to read to the end
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

A book written at an old age is geared towards matured readers as its more compressive and complete. Indeed this story is heartbreaking and suspenseful. I'm more interested in religious freedom.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Concise and objective. I think mr Columbus is a famous and yet mysterious character. This book will help many to understand some aspects of his person
Kavengi123

Post by Kavengi123 »

This book 'kidnapped by Columbus's a nice historical book.but it uses very difficult terms which I found it hard to understand. The characters also have hard names to pronounce.I found myself skipping some times which made it difficult for me to understand the book well.

Return to “Historical Fiction”