Official Review: Seasons of Love and War by Brenda Barry

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Re: Official Review: Seasons of Love and War by Brenda Barry

Post by KLafser »

I've read several WW2 (different but the same idea as Vietnam) books and am always amazed at the different perspectives an author takes/has taken. To me, we have an angle that is portrayed in history books and we think we "know", but there is so much more to any "event". I'm glad this doesn't get weighed down in the politics of the time and focuses on their story. Such a lovely review, I'm looking forward to the book :)
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

KLafser wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 12:33 I've read several WW2 (different but the same idea as Vietnam) books and am always amazed at the different perspectives an author takes/has taken. To me, we have an angle that is portrayed in history books and we think we "know", but there is so much more to any "event". I'm glad this doesn't get weighed down in the politics of the time and focuses on their story. Such a lovely review, I'm looking forward to the book :)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thank you for commenting!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I very much enjoy history, and this book looks like one I could really learn from a gap in my knowledge of world history. You have submitted a really good review. I know there is limited space for this but I only wish you told a little more about what happens in the book.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Ooh! You had me at the description of Beth Anne's visions. That sounds very compelling, as does the depth and growth of the characters. Thank you for the warning about the errors, but I think I'll still be adding this one to my "Want to Read" shelf!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

SamSim wrote: 10 May 2018, 13:03 Ooh! You had me at the description of Beth Anne's visions. That sounds very compelling, as does the depth and growth of the characters. Thank you for the warning about the errors, but I think I'll still be adding this one to my "Want to Read" shelf!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Historical Fiction”