Official Review: Seasons of Love and War by Brenda Barry

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Official Review: Seasons of Love and War by Brenda Barry

Post by stacie k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seasons of Love and War" by Brenda Barry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been so in sync with someone that you could finish each other’s sentences or know what the other is thinking? How about hear their voice or visualize their surroundings when they are halfway around the world from you? Such was the case for Beth Anne Rose and her fiancée, Kaylob Shawn O’Brien in Seasons of Love and War by Brenda Barry. This book is the first installment of a four-part historical fiction saga featuring the love story of Beth Anne and Kaylob. The Vietnam War is the setting for the opening scene in which Kaylob, as part of the U.S. Army, helplessly watches his best friend die. Fueled by his resolve to not let his friend’s death be in vain, Kaylob chooses to take a second tour of duty in the war. Little did he know how deeply this choice would affect his relationship with Beth Anne and their futures both as individuals and as a couple. Their dreams were put on hold while he courageously pursued his cause.

When Kaylob is captured and held as a prisoner of war for over two years, the Army declares him Missing in Action and eventually presumes him to be dead. Upon receiving this news, Beth Anne is devastated and experiences a nervous breakdown, unable to speak or eat for months. Her faithful friends and family rally around her through this traumatic time, willing her to live again. She gradually emerges from her stupor, still unable to accept Kaylob’s death. She believed in her heart that he was still alive and was plagued by nightmares and visions of him in Vietnam.

This is a beautifully written love story which touches on themes of love, war, friendship, grief, survival, forgiveness, and bravery. I expected to learn a lot about the history of the Vietnam War, but I found a minimum of information presented through the story. Emotions ran high regarding U.S. involvement in the war as evidenced by the war protestors who spit on Kaylob in the airport and treated him like dirt. The author enlightened me to the inhumane POW conditions in South Vietnam and referenced the lack of adherence to Operation Homecoming (where 591 American prisoners were released from North Korea). The war scenes were gripping but not too graphic. Upon reflection, I believe the author kept the history at a minimum to feature the love story and the character development.

In fact, the well-done character development was one of my favorite parts of the novel. I grieved alongside Beth Anne, sympathized with Blake Tanner, appreciated the kindness of Frankie, and seethed in anger alongside Kaylob at the inhumane treatment he received as a POW. Blake Tanner was first presented as a jerk and a heartbreaker, but the reader’s opinion of him evolved as more of his history was revealed. Although Blake and Kaylob were unable to be friends due to their love for the same girl, it was touching that Blake was inspired to become a better person by Kaylob’s integrity.

I also enjoyed the author’s skillful transitions from Beth Anne’s present to her visions of Vietnam. It reminded me of how Oliver Queen often slipped from the present to flashbacks of his time as a prisoner on the mysterious island in the TV show Arrow. In Beth Anne’s case, these were not flashbacks but rather visions of the present in a country far away. For example, she would step out of bed and into thick, wet mud in the jungle. Or reach into a box of mementos only to grasp weeds and mud and fade into the tropical environment again.

Finally, I really enjoyed the author’s writing style. Following is an example of her use of personification of death (loc 2985): “Death constantly taunted him with its embrace, coaxing him to join those who had departed the hellhole.” She also personifies sadness (loc 2703): “Travel became her escape from Kaylob’s haunting cries, jungle sounds, and the crippling sadness that still popped in for unpredictable visits.”

Unfortunately, there were many editing errors throughout my copy of the book, forcing me to give Seasons of Love and War 3 out of 4 stars. I believe that the content is worthy of four stars, but until it receives another pass at editing, I must downgrade it to three. I would recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction (and war stories in particular), love stories, or survival stories.

Seasons of Love and War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Wow, I almost picked this book and your review has certainly proved it to be a worthwhile read. It's intriguing how Beth Anne had visions of her love in the present and not the past as commonly observed in stories. I also love a book rich in figurative expressions like the examples you gave. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What a moving review! War stories are a little out of my comfort zone, so I'll have to pass on this one. I, however, adore the snippets of the author's words that you highlighted.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Rubia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rubia »

This very nice and good sense this book that you created. I was been happy to what I readed these book, while I'm thinking how the story can connect me in learnings and idea that can benefit me. May you continue what you did in this book God bless you.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

This sounds like a book that I would love to read. It seems honest and raw and shows that the author has a good understanding of the effects of the Vietnam War. I am glad this this author chose to write about this period in history and the challenges that the war presented people with back on the home front. It seems like a deeply emotional story, and I am glad to read that the character development is well done. I am looking forward to reading these novels. Thank you for reviewing this book.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Vickie Noel wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 07:42 Wow, I almost picked this book and your review has certainly proved it to be a worthwhile read. It's intriguing how Beth Anne had visions of her love in the present and not the past as commonly observed in stories. I also love a book rich in figurative expressions like the examples you gave. Thanks for sharing your experience!
I think you will enjoy reading it! Thank you for your comment!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 08:17 What a moving review! War stories are a little out of my comfort zone, so I'll have to pass on this one. I, however, adore the snippets of the author's words that you highlighted.
I understand about war stories being out of your comfort zone. I was a little hesitant, too, but it wasn't so graphic as to turn me away. Thanks for your comment!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Rubia wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 10:32 This very nice and good sense this book that you created. I was been happy to what I readed these book, while I'm thinking how the story can connect me in learnings and idea that can benefit me. May you continue what you did in this book God bless you.
I hope you get a chance to read the book and enjoy it as much as I did! Thank you for your comment!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

JuliaKay wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 16:10 This sounds like a book that I would love to read. It seems honest and raw and shows that the author has a good understanding of the effects of the Vietnam War. I am glad this this author chose to write about this period in history and the challenges that the war presented people with back on the home front. It seems like a deeply emotional story, and I am glad to read that the character development is well done. I am looking forward to reading these novels. Thank you for reviewing this book.
It is deeply emotional, honest, and raw! I hope you do get a chance to read this one and enjoy it as much as I did! I'm looking forward to the next in the series. I appreciate your comment!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I like the details you give from the book, particularly in relation to the Beth's visions. War often makes for a great setting for a love story and it sounds as though the author made good use of it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing errors, but I love the thought of being so connected to someone that you can even see their surroundings. Makes a good story especially during a time of war. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

Libs_Books wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 04:13 I like the details you give from the book, particularly in relation to the Beth's visions. War often makes for a great setting for a love story and it sounds as though the author made good use of it.
Yes, she did! Thanks for your comment!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 08:13 It's too bad about the editing errors, but I love the thought of being so connected to someone that you can even see their surroundings. Makes a good story especially during a time of war. Thanks so much!
Thanks for your comment, @kandscreeley!
Elzaavdolli1
Favorite Book: Keini and Abeli
Currently Reading: Something About Ann
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Elzaavdolli1 »

I think that it is a beautiful book to read. It is a very interesting love history and also war history
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Usually, I wouldn't read war stories, but this one definitely sounds interesting. I will have to give it a pass though because I just cannot read books with a large number of editing errors. I would rather wait until they have been fixed and the book re-written before I try it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”