Official Review: Southern Sermons and More

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Southern Sermons and More

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Southern Sermons and More" by Billy Lynn Tranum.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Johnny Boyd greatly admired Brother Ambrose Jones. As the preacher at his family’s church, Brother Jones told the stories of the Bible in an understandable way. So, when Brother Jones asked for Johnny’s help, he was more than happy to oblige. Brother Jones married a much younger woman. She and Brother Jones asked Johnny to spend some time alone with her in the bedroom on Sunday afternoons. Johnny was sure that the couple’s intentions had to be virtuous because they were good Christians. Author Billy Lynne Tranum shares scandalous short stories and inspiring sermons in Southern Sermons and More.

Pastors Delmar Johnson and Johnny Boyd became inspirational church leaders, but both came from humble beginnings. Preaching in southern Arkansas in the 1950s, Pastors Johnson and Boyd might have been uneducated, but they were intelligent and passionate preachers. Their sermons made the people in Bible stories relatable to their parishioners. This helped them to better understand the stories of the Bible.

Also living in Arkansas at that time were two imperfect women. The seductive Reola was a dependable cleaning lady in the town of Wilson. She seemed like a normal hardworking woman, but no one is ever what they seem to be. The lovely Louise married Jimmy, the good-looking baseball player with a promising future. However, Jimmy’s drinking drives Louise to do what she finds necessary to protect the two of them, no matter the consequences.

This book was not at all what I had expected. I was preparing myself for a book of church sermons and Bible lessons. While there were plenty of Bible stories in the book, there was an equal amount of scandalous drama. The churches in 1950’s southern Arkansas were not just places of worship. Communities came together to care for each other in the church.

This is a well-written collection of stories. The author’s memories are beautifully presented in this book. The characters are deeply flawed, but somehow, extremely likable. There is one minor grammar error, but it does not distract from the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This should have been published as two separate books. The first half is a collection of church sermons, and the second half is a collection of scandalous short stories. I tried to create some kind of connection between the two halves. Perhaps the contrast of sinners and saints, but it just doesn’t fit. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book. It is inspirational and entertaining. Christian readers will enjoy the first half of the book, and fiction readers with enjoy the second half. Still, Southern Sermons and More highlights the beauty of human weakness and the power of faith.

Southern Sermons and More
View: on Bookshelves

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I find this to be a strange combination of stories! I agree with you that it should have been two books or had some explanation for the juxtaposition. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree that this seems like a really strange combination. It leaves me feeling very unsure if I would enjoy this one or not. I'll have to research this one a bit further. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

stacie k wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 01:11 I find this to be a strange combination of stories! I agree with you that it should have been two books or had some explanation for the juxtaposition. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book.
It’s strange, but entertaining for sure. Thanks for reading my review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 07:46 I agree that this seems like a really strange combination. It leaves me feeling very unsure if I would enjoy this one or not. I'll have to research this one a bit further. Thanks!
The combination is odd, but it is an entertaining book. Thanks for reading my review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I also thought the book would be full of sermons but now I know after reading this nicely written review. I think the book is amon my 'want to read' shelf books.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Great review

Return to “Historical Fiction”