Official Review: Return to Deadwood by Paul Henry Johnson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Re: Official Review: Return to Deadwood by Paul Henry Johnson

Post by Shas F »

Great Westerns have always been about taking a stand while facing danger, against all odds. I'm sure Return to Deadwood by Paul Henry Johnson fits the bill after reading the Amazon summary and JessNWheeler's review. I'm looking forward to reading about how Steel Madison faces danger as he accompanies his father to a gold rush town in Dakota over a century ago. I'm curious how his character will transform from a well-educated young man ready to take over his father’s business to a man who experiences loss and whose courage is tested. I'm also curious to see how his relationship with another woman develops and how this impacts the story. This book has a dual narrative: the excitement and thrill of going to an unknown place and a journey back home.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Thanks for the review. The story does sound interesting with action, romance, adventure in search of gold, etc. Have added it to my to be read list.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I'm not really that into love stories at the moment, but I do love historical fiction and Deadwood usually promises to be an exciting setting. It really is a shame about the proofreading errors. Those can be a great distraction for me, but I might give this book a try anyway. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

I was wondering if this was a good read and I’m glad to see that it doesn’t disappoint! An interesting western without the typical storyline. Heroes and varmints! My kind of story! Thank you.

Return to “Historical Fiction”