Darktown by Thomas Mullen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WillowStarSerenity
Currently Reading: Loved
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowstarserenity.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Darktown by Thomas Mullen

Post by WillowStarSerenity »

The Mayor of Atlanta has decided that things needed to change. He decides to make eight black people the first black people enstated as police officers of their city. Many people are excited about this decision, but many people are not. These eight people find that they are in for as much hassle and hostility as they are reward and change. Then a body turns up, and one of these eight police officers decides to risk it all to discover what really happened.

I can't tell you how much I got invested in this book. If sleep and work hadn't gotten in the way, I am confident I could of read it all in a day. it was intense and intriguing. I was left on the edge of my seat through the whole thing. There's a part of me that just wants to grab my copy and demand someone read it just so I have somebody to fully talk about it with.

The messages in this story are powerful and intense. I also felt like I was really living in that time frame that it was based in. They didn't just portray the time era beautifully. They also portrayed Georgia beautifully. Especially where the weather is concerned! I was very impressed.

I couldn't help but feel the major connection with the characters through this story. I rooted for the good guys all the way through. It was easy to completely despise the bad guys as well. It was very easy for me to forget that I wasn't a member of this community and that these were characters in a story.

I give this book a full five-star rating. I loved loved loved this book. I just know in my heart that it'll be as big of a classic as The Help and To Kill a Mockingbird. I do fully recommend this story. I do have to say that it's not very lightly written. This author gave the whole picture of what you'd be seeing. They didn't censor any of it.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

This really does sound like a very good book. I can imagine in the wrong context how people instated into the wrong community can have a world of problems. A few nights ago I was watching a movie on this very topic. In the end a white guy risked his life to save the black one. This is a nice topic and sounds like a great story based on your review.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh

Return to “Historical Fiction”