Official Review: The women of saint germain

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The women of saint germain

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The women of saint germain" by C. Claire Lucka.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The terrors of living in France under German occupation during World War II challenge the Cannet family in The Women of Saint Germain: Tour of Duty. Author C. Claire Lucka tells the tale of a young woman and her family as they face the hardships brought upon the people of France by the German army.

Simone Cannet lives in rural France with her father, mother, and three sisters on their family farm. She has plans to get a job in Paris and live with her aunt, once she is through with school. However, her family home becomes occupied by German Officers that seem to have inappropriate intentions with her young sisters. Simone’s father and her best friend join the French Resistance and often go out on dangerous secret missions. With life completely changed, Simone, her sisters, and their mother find strength that they never knew they had to protect themselves and their property. The Cannet family experiences moments of fear, betrayal, love, loss, and triumph that will either bring the family closer together or tear them apart forever.

This story is loosely based on the life of the author’s family. The love and admiration she feels for her family shines through in this novel. Each character is beautifully developed with their own unique flaws and personality. I was emotionally invested in the family’s story. Simone’s mother is strong and brave as she does whatever it takes to protect her children. Simone’s sisters are bright and likable young girls. I was terrified for them as they were constantly on guard while living with the German Officers. These men were disrespectful and a perpetual threat to the family’s safety and well-being.

I enjoy true and fictional stories set during World War II. Historical fiction is always my first choice, and this book did not disappoint. There is a perfect balance of dramatic storytelling and conveyance of historical facts. Readers of romance and historical fiction will enjoy this book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There are two minor grammar errors in the book. Many of the dramatic storylines were rushed. More detail would have added to the reader’s emotional ties to the characters. Nonetheless, this is a well-written story with likable heroes and detestable villains. The Women of Saint Germain: Tour of Duty highlights the importance of a close family and the determination to fight in the face of unimaginable fear.

The women of saint germain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I, too, enjoy historical fiction and particularly World War II stories. It sounds like the author has done a great job of character development. I’d like to read this book. Thanks for an informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

Thanks for the review! This seems like an interesting book that I would enjoy reading. I enjoy historical fiction, and it is exciting to know that the story is almost a memoir.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Add me in! I too enjoy reading historical fiction, but prefer fewer spoiler alerts. However, a good review!
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I also enjoy historical fiction and have not read many set in WWII or France. This seems like a good choice. I really can't imagine the stress this family must have endured.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I like historical fiction but not those about the world wars. Your description of the book and its characters however, makes me want to read this novel and perhaps broaden my horizons.
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

I'm yet another historical fiction fan and I'm glad I read your thoughtful review, because the title and cover art alone are not interesting enough for me to give this book a chance. After reading your review, I'm very intrigued! And I really appreciate your comment about the balance of storytelling and historical information. Great job!
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Jbluestocking2 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 13:12 I'm yet another historical fiction fan and I'm glad I read your thoughtful review, because the title and cover art alone are not interesting enough for me to give this book a chance. After reading your review, I'm very intrigued! And I really appreciate your comment about the balance of storytelling and historical information. Great job!
Agreed! It’s too bad the publisher didn’t take any more time and effort to present even a beautiful photo or something. This story sounds perfect for the history buff but no one would would even notice it with such a boring cover.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Historical fiction isn't typically my favorite, but I'm pleased you enjoyed this one so much. It seems like a good choice to base the book loosely on her family experiences, thereby protecting their privacy, yet having a strong cast of characters to draw from. Thanks for a great review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a really important and worthwhile book. I guess the weaknesses you identify are due to the author being relatively inexperience but still with an important story to tell.

Return to “Historical Fiction”