Official Review: American River: Currents

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: American River: Currents

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American River: Currents" by Mallory M. O'Connor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

American River: Currents is the second book in the Tributaries historical trilogy, a saga about three immigrant families making a life in America.

The novel introduces us to Kate McPhalan who is musing about life and about losing her brother, a talented poet and a gentle soul. She meets a lawyer to discuss his legacy, and as the chapters progress, more and more characters are introduced into the story. Since I haven't read the first book in the trilogy, I was slightly confused. My senses were suddenly assaulted by all the many people and their relationships to each other, and I found myself scrolling back to the start of the book, to the cast of characters section to understand whom I was reading about just then.

Once I knew the most players and could follow the numerous storylines playing out in front of my eyes, my initial confusion was replaced by a sense of immersion in the story. I did take a quick peek at the first book’s blurb on Goodreads, and that helped me internalize the material even faster. Now I understood that we were looking at three different families of immigrants: a Japanese family, Ashida; a Mexican family, Morales; and an Irish family, McPhalan. These families’ fates would somehow intersect throughout the entire trilogy.

The story itself is quite remarkable and, as with most sagas, intrigue, drama, and tragedies abound. I found most characters compelling; however, the one that really stood out for me was Stefan Molnar. I related to him for various reasons. First, I am also Hungarian, like he was. Second, he was a classical piano musician. While I call myself rather tone deaf, I do come from a family of musicians. The famous Hungarian composer, Bartok Bela, who is often mentioned in the book, is part of our family history (my grandfather was closely related to him, and we actually met once Bela’s Hungarian son in Budapest many years ago).

Apart from my feelings of closeness to one or the other character, American River: Currents has a most urgent message for everyone living in today’s turbulent times where immigration issues are on everyone’s lips. The book is a strong reminder that we are all the same people, united on this lonely planet, Earth. In addition, the author touched on some themes of historical importance for the 1960s, such as the JFK assassination, the draft for the Vietnam War, Bobby Kennedy’s assassination, and the unstable political climate of those times.

History buffs will enjoy this book as will those who love family sagas. Nevertheless, you might want to read the first book in the series before picking up American River: Currents. Things will make much more sense, especially for the first few 200 pages or so. Also, if you enjoy classical music, you will feel right at home with some of the main players keeping you company.

I give American River: Currents 3 out of 4 stars. While I found a couple of grammatical and punctuation errors throughout the pages (no question mark at the end of a question, “near” instead of “hear,” “she saS,” no period at the end of a few sentences, etc.), there were not enough to disrupt my enjoyment of the book. The story was compelling, and the characters were realistic and sympathetic.

My main issue stemmed from having to flip back and forth between the chapters I was reading and the list of characters to figure out whom I was reading about at the time. On my small iPad, this was no small feat. Also, while I really enjoyed Tommy’s story (the American-Japanese guy who was part of one of the three main immigrant families the trilogy is about), at some point, he was no longer mentioned. Once a particular event happened in his life, he just disappeared. His thread will be probably picked up in the third book, but I really wanted to learn what happened to him following that event.

Overall, this was a great book, and I would have probably given it 4 stars if I had read the first book in the series beforehand. As a standalone novel, however, it doesn’t really work all that well.

American River: Currents
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

This book sounds like it is very well written. However, it probably isn't my cup of tea. I think this book would be very appropriate with some of the political issues that are going on right now.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

You offer good advice to read the books in order as they don’t stand alone well. I’m sure I would also have trouble keeping track of the various characters. I liked your fairness in mentioning you would probably award 4 stars if you had previously read the first book. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do find too many characters to be quite difficult to read. However, I'm not sure if you can help it in a novel such as this. There have been so many great reviews on this one, I'm probably going to have to pick it up. It sounds very character driven. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

Butterflybookworm wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:26 This book sounds like it is very well written. However, it probably isn't my cup of tea. I think this book would be very appropriate with some of the political issues that are going on right now.
Not really. It's not about politics. If you start from the first book you'll be surprised how interesting it is. It is more of a tapestry revolving around these three families. The characters are so interesting and deep souls...Check out my first American River-tributaries review to know what I mean.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Oh, you MUST read the first one!! I've just finished it (and reviewed it here) and it was spectacular, but I can completely understand how confusing it would get if you tried to read the second without having read the first. Honestly, it will make it worth it!!
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

londonmartine wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 10:07 Oh, you MUST read the first one!! I've just finished it (and reviewed it here) and it was spectacular, but I can completely understand how confusing it would get if you tried to read the second without having read the first. Honestly, it will make it worth it!!
If I see it on offer, I'll pick it up. This book was awesome but knowing the background better would help me so much more!
kandscreeley wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:19 I do find too many characters to be quite difficult to read. However, I'm not sure if you can help it in a novel such as this. There have been so many great reviews on this one, I'm probably going to have to pick it up. It sounds very character driven. Thanks for the review.
It is a great book, but if you want to pick it up, definitely read the first one before this. You'll be glad you did.
stacie k wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:52 You offer good advice to read the books in order as they don’t stand alone well. I’m sure I would also have trouble keeping track of the various characters. I liked your fairness in mentioning you would probably award 4 stars if you had previously read the first book. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for stopping by!
Butterflybookworm wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:26 This book sounds like it is very well written. However, it probably isn't my cup of tea. I think this book would be very appropriate with some of the political issues that are going on right now.
Yeah, family sagas are not for everybody, I agree. There is not a lot of political material included, but the whole idea of immigrants in the US does reflect somehow the issues our world is facing right now, indeed.
ADE_96 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:28
Not really. It's not about politics. If you start from the first book you'll be surprised how interesting it is. It is more of a tapestry revolving around these three families. The characters are so interesting and deep souls...Check out my first American River-tributaries review to know what I mean.
I'm not sure that Butterflybookworm specifically referred to politics. But thanks for a shout-out to your review, nevertheless ;)
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

ADE_96 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:28
I'm not sure that Butterflybookworm specifically referred to politics. But thanks for a shout-out to your review, nevertheless ;)
[/quote]

Oh yeah! I guess I read real quick and misunderstood her comment.

Great review by the way! I am ready to enjoy book two.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

It's a good one, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
waffa2
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waffa2.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor

Post by waffa2 »

Thank you for the review. I just finished the first book in the series and enjoyed it greatly. I was going to download the second book and due to your review, I will do it sooner rather than later.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I'm going to sample the first book, this one sounds like a captivating read; I like that it included events that led to the unstable political climate of those times.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Meh, since I'm not a history buff, my initial reaction to this book is-not interested. However, my recent war novel reviews have really piqued a new interest in me. I just might try this out, but I think I'll start with the first book. Thanks!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You are more brave than I am to jump into a series on book two. I wonder if it is fair to ask people to rate a book mid-series if they haven't read the previous books.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

waffa2 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 12:45 Thank you for the review. I just finished the first book in the series and enjoyed it greatly. I was going to download the second book and due to your review, I will do it sooner rather than later.
I'm glad you found my review useful.
ritah wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 11:10 I'm going to sample the first book, this one sounds like a captivating read; I like that it included events that led to the unstable political climate of those times.
Yes, it does. It was a great read.
NL Hartje wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 00:52 Meh, since I'm not a history buff, my initial reaction to this book is-not interested. However, my recent war novel reviews have really piqued a new interest in me. I just might try this out, but I think I'll start with the first book. Thanks!
Haha, I liked your "Meh" reaction, it made me laugh. You should definitely start with the first one, then you'll enjoy it even more.
CommMayo wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:39 You are more brave than I am to jump into a series on book two. I wonder if it is fair to ask people to rate a book mid-series if they haven't read the previous books.
I am honestly not sure if I was aware it being the second book in the series. I can't remember. But my confusion at the beginning of the book was all too real. I guess especially with historical sagas that span centuries, it should be a requirement that the first book is read before picking up the second book.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, great review here. Now that I have read the review, I will be reading the book too soon. I never thought it was this nice. It appears it surely deserves a 4 out 4 stars rating.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Historical Fiction”