Official Review: Ithaca by Stephen Pearsall

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: Ithaca by Stephen Pearsall

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ithaca" by Stephen Pearsall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ithaca is a historical fiction novel by Stephen Pearsall. Although this is the third novel in the Norquist trilogy, it stands alone as the story of Kyle Norquist. The opening of the book describes Kyle's experience in Vietnam. The events leading up to this scene and its after-effects are discussed later in the book.

Kyle grows up in Wisconsin where he leads a fairly ordinary life, works on a neighbors farm, and experiences his first romance. After high school, he attends Stanford University and majors in engineering. In addition to his engineering studies, he takes a political science class with the popular professor, William Delamere. Under the guidance of Delamere, Kyle becomes more and more involved in the political science community. During these years, opposition to the Vietnam war increases and spreads across the nation. While opposed to the war, Kyle feels compelled to serve his country and make his voice authentic by experiencing the battle himself. His decision to enlist is life-changing.

Several years after Kyle's time at Stanford, William Delamere becomes a US senator for the state of California. Kyle is hired as one of his aids and moves to Washington, D.C. As the war in Vietnam continues, Delamere discovers a conspiracy regarding weapons trafficking. Additionally, the NRA begins to shift from its traditional focus on hunting and marksmanship with rifles to promoting handguns.

I loved this book for its deep characters and valuable insight into the Vietnam era of American history. Kyle's life story walks the reader through the experiences of one man who seeks to make a difference for his country. We also get an inside look at the political situation in Washington at the time through the experiences of Senator Delamere as well as Kyle and other members of his staff. I was unaware that it was during the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era that the proliferation of handguns in America began. It was fascinating to learn about the role the US played in the distribution of weapons throughout the world as well as the history of guns in America. As we look at legislation regarding handguns in America, I believe an understanding of how we got to where we are today can help us make better decisions for our future.

This book is professionally edited and nearly flawless. I found nothing to complain about in reading this book. Despite it being the third book in a trilogy, I never felt I was missing any important information to understand the storyline. The opening chapter does describe fighting in Vietnam in quite a bit of detail, so I would caution readers who may be triggered by this scene to consider beginning with chapter two.

I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is excellent in every way. I recommend this book to people interested in 20th century American history and the Vietnam era. Those interested in politics and the history of guns in America would also enjoy this book.

Ithaca
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The topic is extremely interesting and I am always anxious to read about historical events and the way they affected ordinary people's lives. I am essentially a pacifist so I think we should all learn from history and never let it repeat again. The book does seem to provide a lot of details on the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era and I would like to find out more things about the various political implications. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

cristinaro wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 04:59 The topic is extremely interesting and I am always anxious to read about historical events and the way they affected ordinary people's lives. I am essentially a pacifist so I think we should all learn from history and never let it repeat again. The book does seem to provide a lot of details on the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era and I would like to find out more things about the various political implications. Thank you for your review!
Thank you. Historical fiction has been one of my favorite ways too learn too.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Great and detailed review - massive thumbs up. I love historical fiction, especially as a previous commenter says when you feel like you’re getting facts and knowledge along with your story. This is such an emotive topic but it sounds like it’s done really well.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The Vietnam war still isn't discussed as much as it should be, in my opinion. This sounds like a very interesting look at that time. I'm glad that it's a stand alone even though, it's the third in the series. I'm glad that you enjoyed it as well. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

The book sounds interesting. The debate on gun control is still ongoing and i believe learning about how we came to this point may help us see the situation more objectively.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

qsusan wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 11:25 The book sounds interesting. The debate on gun control is still ongoing and i believe learning about how we came to this point may help us see the situation more objectively.
I agree, it certainly brings a greater emphasis to the mental health question.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

DancingLady wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 09:38 I was unaware that it was during the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era that the proliferation of handguns in America began.
Thanks for highlighting this - I wasn't aware of it before, but it makes a lot of sense. Having been at school (in the UK) in that era, it seems funny to hear it referred to as history, but obviously it is, and I think it's great that writers are re-visiting it and using it to reflect on our current society.
Despite it being the third book in a trilogy, I never felt I was missing any important information to understand the storyline.
And that's a sign of real skill on the part of the writer, isn't it? This sounds like a really worthwhile and valuable book.
Juliet144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet144.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Juliet144 »

Thank you for sharing this comprehensive review. Historical books are among my favorite to read and this sounds like a good read.

Return to “Historical Fiction”