Official Review: Traitors by Jean-Pierre Le Pan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: Traitors by Jean-Pierre Le Pan

Post by revna01 »

Camille Turner wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 17:57
SABRADLEY wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 14:48 Unless it's something along the lines of Cloud Atlas, I really don't like having to take a ton of notes while reading. The material sounds intriguing, to say the least. I may consider this one. Thank you for a great review.
Thank you for your comment! I understand what you mean. The last time I took heavy notes when reading was with Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" and that didn't have to do with his writing style, but merely the huge list of very similar-sounding names and places. That was definitely worth it, as I love that book. If you do read "Traitors," I hope you enjoy it!
Thank you for the response. The Name of the Rose? Hmmm, I may need to look into that one as well. I haven't heard of it, nor the author.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

SABRADLEY wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 21:59
SABRADLEY wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 14:48 Unless it's something along the lines of Cloud Atlas, I really don't like having to take a ton of notes while reading. The material sounds intriguing, to say the least. I may consider this one. Thank you for a great review.
Thank you for your comment! I understand what you mean. The last time I took heavy notes when reading was with Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" and that didn't have to do with his writing style, but merely the huge list of very similar-sounding names and places. That was definitely worth it, as I love that book. If you do read "Traitors," I hope you enjoy it!
Thank you for the response. The Name of the Rose? Hmmm, I may need to look into that one as well. I haven't heard of it, nor the author.
Oh, you must! It's one of my all-time favorites. Eco was a very accomplished Italian author. The story takes place in a Medieval monastery (it deals with a lot of real, historical figures) so there is a bit of confusing Latin, which you can skip over as it's more for authenticity's sake than for the story. It's a mystery (a monk must figure out why there are murders taking place at an abbey) that incorporates the religious debates of the time. Plus, there is a mysterious library off-limits to the monks and tons of philosophical questions to muse on. I love it!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ValBookReviews wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 18:45
Camille Turner wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 10:31
ValBookReviews wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 08:53 Woo... a South African scandal as I enjoyed reading your book review with minor spoiler alerts.
Yes, a great scandal! The sleeper cell and characters' involvement, you learn from the very beginning of the book. It's the actual plan/goal that is the big mystery! I hope you like it if you choose to read it. :) Thanks for commenting!
Absolutely! Yes, I'm interested, based upon your amazing description and I have added it to my bookshelf. Thank you for replying. keep up the good work! :)
Great! Thank you so very much and enjoy the book! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Butterflybookworm wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 21:22 I've always enjoyed reading historical fiction and this sounds like a good one to add to my list. The comparisons the author does between current and past events sounds intriguing.
Historical fiction is such a great way to learn about different events/eras. I hope you enjoy it if you read it! Thanks for commenting. :)
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Camille Turner wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:12
ValBookReviews wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 18:45
Camille Turner wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 10:31

Yes, a great scandal! The sleeper cell and characters' involvement, you learn from the very beginning of the book. It's the actual plan/goal that is the big mystery! I hope you like it if you choose to read it. :) Thanks for commenting!
Absolutely! Yes, I'm interested, based upon your amazing description and I have added it to my bookshelf. Thank you for replying. keep up the good work! :)
Great! Thank you so very much and enjoy the book! :)
Yelp! I certainly hope to! Thanks again! :tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Camille Turner wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:10

Oh, you must! It's one of my all-time favorites. Eco was a very accomplished Italian author. The story takes place in a Medieval monastery (it deals with a lot of real, historical figures) so there is a bit of confusing Latin, which you can skip over as it's more for authenticity's sake than for the story. It's a mystery (a monk must figure out why there are murders taking place at an abbey) that incorporates the religious debates of the time. Plus, there is a mysterious library off-limits to the monks and tons of philosophical questions to muse on. I love it!
Oh yes, yes, and more yes! Love the sound of that. Thank you for the recommendation! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

SABRADLEY wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 15:44
Camille Turner wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 13:10

Oh yes, yes, and more yes! Love the sound of that. Thank you for the recommendation! :)
You're very welcome! Enjoy the book! :)
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

A story on political corruption, intrigue and a high-stakes game played on the international stage can be a fan and all the same serious issues. A good review. Thanks.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kwame1977 wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 12:05 A story on political corruption, intrigue and a high-stakes game played on the international stage can be a fan and all the same serious issues. A good review. Thanks.
Thank you for your comment! I hope you like the book if you choose to read it.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Sounds exactly like the kind of book I love reading! Thank you so much for writing this review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow, micro-events that can be read in any order! This is a different spin. Thanks for this informative review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Biigggg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Biigggg »

The book traitor by Jean - Pierre Le Pan, Traitor, it is a book that speaks of secret plans and treachery, it also speaks of politics, it's a good book for readers who like political novels.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Javier Campos wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 20:23 Sounds exactly like the kind of book I love reading! Thank you so much for writing this review!
Thanks for your comment! Hope you enjoy it if you end up reading it!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

NL Hartje wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 01:25 Wow, micro-events that can be read in any order! This is a different spin. Thanks for this informative review!
It is very different! Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Biigggg wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 05:54 The book traitor by Jean - Pierre Le Pan, Traitor, it is a book that speaks of secret plans and treachery, it also speaks of politics, it's a good book for readers who like political novels.
Agreed! It's quite an interesting read.

Return to “Historical Fiction”