Official Review: The Navigator II: Irish Revenge

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: The Navigator II: Irish Revenge

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Navigator II: Irish Revenge" by Steve Coleman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ireland is a country with a violent and troubled past. I had learned this back in school history classes and had passed it off as something which had happened long ago. In The Navigator II: Irish Revenge, Steve Coleman portrays how relevant this history is in this day and age, having long-lasting effects on generation after generation.

Joe, as a newly employed CIA agent, finds himself on his first case, working undercover in the small Irish village of Ballycastle. Charged to watch for any suspicious behaviour, he’s to try to gain as much information as he can on the local IRA group. Posing as a sailor visiting from America, Joe finds that it's not easy to go unnoticed in the coastal village. Met with suspicion by the locals, Joe gets an eye-opening look at the political hotbed of rural Irish life, where your religion defines everything about who you are.

Unsure where his relationship with Mary, the woman he left behind in America, is going, Joe finds himself enamoured with a local red-headed beauty, Fiona. Will Joe be able to navigate not only the treacherous waters of religious conflict but also that of his heart? Will he remain unscathed, or will he be drawn into the darker underbelly of troubled Ireland?

Written in third person, the story follows Joe as he tries to gain the trust of the local village and the various characters who he encounters. Joe is portrayed well as he makes all too realistic mistakes and takes what he has for granted. He develops well as a character, coming to see the terrible toll revenge has on people, himself included. Fiona’s character is a good example of the product of conflict and anger and how it gets passed from one generation to the next. With her family subject to tragedy, her whole life revolves around this anger and the need for revenge.

There are many other characters scattered throughout the book, but one which grew on me was Big Ryan. Steady and loyal, but currently unsure of his purpose in life, he unexpectedly finds himself friends with Joe. From a family of both Catholic and Protestant faith, he is able to show Joe the religious side to both Ireland and human nature, while proving himself to be a loyal friend.

It's an interesting way to portray the perspective of Irish conflict through the eyes of a tourist, which Joe essentially is. It enables a lot of aspects to be explained without it seeming forced, while also giving an outsider’s opinion on the topic.

As the second in the series following Joe, this is definitely a stand-alone book. The previous book has some ties to this one, but very few. These points are explained well to not put anyone at a disadvantage for not reading book one.

While the writing flows well and there are very few errors, I found the interaction Joe had with Fiona a little forced. He acted more like a teenage boy than a grown man in his infatuation, especially in regard to his status as a CIA agent. This, however, was the only negative point which I had about the book and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Overall it was an interesting portrayal of a country in unrest, one that often gets passed by as not being actively at war. This is definitely a book for anyone with an interest in Ireland, its past and present conflict, as it is brought to life through the eyes of an outsider.

The Navigator II: Irish Revenge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It sounds like the author did a good job with character development and cleverly uses the tourist perspective to relate some Irish history. Your review makes me want to find out what happens to Joe. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

So it sounds like part of the purpose of the novel is to describe the ongoing and historical clashes in Ireland, wrapped up in a CIA drama type story. I think that’s nice - it sounds like it adds some depth to a notoriously light trope.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't know much about Ireland. It sounds like this might be a good and fun way to learn more about it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

When you reference religious conflict, are you saying the book discusses the divide between the Protestants wanting to continue as a part of the UK and the Catholics wanting to separate into an Irish republic? I think I would be interested in this read if yes because it's something I would like to learn more about.

Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

After the first few paragraphs I thought, "this sounds like a modern Tom Clancy novel!" But after finishing the review, I think this one goes far more into the daily lives of the Irish people. I think I agree, it is a good idea to use Joe as a reason for explaining the intricacies of the religious fabric of the community.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

The title and cover made me a little dismissive of this book. I'm glad I read your review! It sounds like something I'd really enjoy.
Roger Carlisle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Roger Carlisle »

THE NAVIGATOR II: IRISH REVENGE IS A THRILLING PAGE TURNER by Steve Coleman

This book continues the saga of Joe Anderson, an intrepid sea captain whose boat and livelihood have been stolen by the Irish Republican Army. Joe is a passionate Hemingway-type adventurer who can't help standing up for himself and others. He is full of desire, impulse, and id, which are unchecked by any bully or faceless authority. He is the masculine archetype who runs on action and instinct. Coleman creates a very congruent and well-developed collection of complex characters.
The novel races at warp speed as Joe's investigation and revenge explore the IRA, the history of Ireland's social and political dysfunction, the deep
ethos of the people, and the science of sailing. While grieving for his lost love in Alabama, our hero hooks up with a beautiful lass, who is an operative for the IRA. Joe ultimately depends on a warm, brotherly relationship with his new friend Big Ryan. He intentionally continues to jump into boiling predicaments, becoming involved with gun smuggling and the CIA.
The book is engaging and completely believable. There is an enormous amount of Irish History, which gave me a deep understanding of how our lives are defined and controlled by our society and cultural beliefs
Coleman's novel reminds me of Stieg Larsson's GIRL WITH A DRAGON TATTOO with its complex societal context and revenge motive which is a foil to Joe's heroic and courageous individualism. This is a striking novel full of passionate ideals, an evocative sense of place, and deep insights into the pathos and futility of a country enmeshed in hate and revenge. The book is a thrilling page turner which I devoured in two days. It combines deep psychological insights with the traditions of crime writing and thrilling adventure. I recommend this book to all readers who like complex intelligent puzzles and unusual passionate characters who are not afraid to be their fullest selves.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Thanks for the review! I'm interested in the book. It's an interesting approach to straddle the conflict and not portray one side over the other. Nice job!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I don't find Joe's interaction with Fiona strange, many men act like children around someone who captivates their attention.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A thriller revolving around the religious conflict in Northern Ireland sounds interesting. To portray the Irish conflict via the eyes of a tourist is a good move. Too bad about the forced dialogues. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing political thriller that highlights conflict and how people react to it. I enjoyed the book and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend that readers first sample the amazingly written onlinebookclub review of the book before reading it.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

The tourist perspective and someone with a Catholic and Protestant family is a good way of getting the troubles across in a balanced way.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I am glad I read your review. The title didn't catch my attention. Now after reading your review. It will be the next book i read
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Interesting way for the author to present the story and incorporate Irish history and the Irish religious conflict in Northern Ireland. History is not my favorite genre so I won't be reading this book. Based on your review, congrats to the author for a great job on character development and great writing flow.

Return to “Historical Fiction”