Official Review: The Navigator II: Irish Revenge

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tiki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Official Review: The Navigator II: Irish Revenge

Post by Tiki »

I love historical fiction and since I know very little about Ireland the book intrigues me. I also sailed our sloop for 6 years but never made it across the Atlantic. The sailing, history and mystery all make this book sound exciting. What I have read so far has kept my interest and wanting more. Wonderful review and I am looking forward to finishing this book.
Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Alice in Wonderland »

Reading the story is like navigating the people of Ireland. So excited...
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

The conflict in Ireland leaves a poor taste for this Irish protestant. The fighting has finally stopped and there is peace. Let it remain in peace.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A conflict in Ireland that passes from generation to generation where religion is involved. This seems like a good read to learn more about this country and its legacy. Thanks for the review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I like this author's approach to Irish history and conflicts! Even if the relationship felt a little forced, it still seems like a worthwhile book to read.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD sounds like a fast-moving, engaging read for fans of the genre. Your review was very well-written, and I can tell you thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
:-) I don't think this is the one for me, but those looking for a character driven, political thriller are sure to love this series! Thanks!
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

It seems thrilling how his mission and affairs of the heart could go hand in hand. Joe, the sailor might find himself in hot waters when caught in the middle of a religious conflict. But that is why this novel came about. An interesting read. Thanks for this nice review.
Lolalola
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lolalola »

Wow...I read the free preview of the book and now, after reading your review I certainly would like to read the entire book. As someone with little to no knowledge about Irish history, but who is also willing to learn, I would welcome the opportunity to do so against the backdrop of a CIA-ish adventure. The love interest/conflict I can do without, unless that was the theme of the entire book, but I suppose in this case it adds dimension to Joe's character.

I am very interested in Big Ryan's character and what his role is in the entire plot though! And why couldn't Joe just choose another girl from the group to pursue...you know, one who didn't have a boyfriend who happens to be a complete jerk as well?

Well written review by the way!
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

This is a very detailed review that offers additional information from the summary on Amazon. After reading the sample pages and the short summary on Amazon, I couldn't get a feel of excitement in wanting to explore more of this book. Your review did offer a more in-depth synopsis of the story line and characters in the book and did spark a little more interest in reading. It will definitely be one of those books that I would have to clear my shelves to read but have changed my mind about not reading at all.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

A story revolving around religious and political conflict in Ireland doesn’t particularly interest me, although I always like it when authors are able to combine factual information with fictional characters and turn it into something exciting.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nicely done review! Sounds like a pretty interesting story but I'm not so sure this is a book I would read from start to finish. Thanks for your review!
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sounds like a great turmoil of crime and love. Congrats on the review!
Hadi-141998
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hadi-141998 »

this book really thought me more lessons
its very very interesting
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

I appreciated your review, but wanted to make one correction: You never mention that Joe is in Northern Ireland, which is a completely different country with a different government and, in many ways, a different culture than the Republic of Ireland, which is usually what people refer to when they say "Ireland". (Technically, the whole island is called Ireland, so it's not that you said something wrong, just incomplete).

I used to live in (the Republic of) Ireland, and the closest thing I saw or heard of concerning religious violence were the gangs of 10-12 year old boys in the rough neighborhood I worked in who needed an excuse to push someone around. And they were soundly put in their place by the older generations who had lived through "the Troubles." I knew many "mixed" couples who were embraced by both families.

Northern Ireland, I've heard, still has a lot of tension, but I didn't spend enough time there to know much. The speech in the book struck me as a little over the top for modern Irish, like the author was trying too hard to get all the Irish slang he could think of in...but again, I can't say for sure. It did bother me that the author didn't give any sort of time frame, but I didn't read too far.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

As I was sampling the book, I got to Chapter 3 before I realized it. Having some knowledge of Ireland and the IRA the inclusions within the story gives the book credibility and believability. The story line is so intriguing that it keeps the reader wanting more. More knowledge about Ryan story, more knowledge about the sea, plainly just more. Wonderful story that is definitely a 4 out of 4 stars. Thank you for a spot on review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”