Official Review: Bernardone's Knights by JC Ernst

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Official Review: Bernardone's Knights by JC Ernst

Post by stedape »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bernardone's Knights" by JC Ernst.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bernardone’s Knights by J.C. Ernst is the third book in the Knight Stalkers series. It is a fiction novel that begins with two women, Ann and Ruth. They are award-winning writers who happen to be sitting next to each other on a flight to the New York Newspaper Writers’ Conference. Ann tells Ruth the story of modern-day knights and their impact on the world. These knights include Sherry, Jake, and Ieke Rolland among others.

Ieke Rolland, a retired army general, has always desired to possess the most cherished treasures in the world. His aspiration to rule and change the world negatively impels him to commit many atrocities. Jake and his wife, Sherry, are assigned to track down Ieke. They need to apprehend him before he lays his hands on the ‘’Clavicularius pas Cephas’’ and the ‘’Chereb.’’ These treasures are mythical objects with unimaginable power and fame. Ieke travels around the world while employing his several contacts to acquire them. He has a peculiar accomplice, Kareem Razier, who he brainwashed to believe they were fighting for a righteous cause. However, Kareem starts having a change of heart when he witnesses the relentless killings and maltreatment of people by Ieke. The story involves very spectacular and unexpected twists.

The author conveys a crucial message in the book. He tries to show that both good and evil resides in every man (even knights). The book has distinct themes of loyalty and justice. The story is filled with joy, pain, familial love, and mild humor. These are features I find captivating.

I appreciate the level of suspense in the book. It is engaging from start to finish. Furthermore, the book has a well-executed plot that weaves crime with truth, religion, and art. Additionally, the book provides a detailed analysis of how Jake and Sherry’s assignment is carried out and accomplished.

Nonetheless, I did not appreciate the brief history of the powerful objects in the book. Although they are mentioned as three items, they are referred to as two items in other instances. It is important to note that the “Clavicularius pas Cephas” is a pair of items. Furthermore, some aspects of the storyline are repeated. In addition, a major character in the book is referred to as ‘’old man’’ throughout the book. The character would have been more relatable with an actual name.

I give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The book is professionally edited with very few grammatical errors. Finally, I would recommend this to anyone who loves fiction novels with elements of history.

Bernardone's Knights
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stedape's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m wondering why we need Ann and Ruth? Are they in the other two books of the series? It sounds like the story is well done and enjoyable. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Hmmm not sure about this one. I’m usually leaping on anything to do with historical fiction, however vaguely related, but this didn’t really sound like it is for me.
Tayo Adebayo
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Tayo Adebayo »

This story is about Ann and Ruth where Ann tell Ruth the Story about mordern day knights. Lele was a strong army general whose desire for material things make him evil.. I think I love it, it's just cool
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I concur, although a good review with minor spoiler alerts, this book is too, not for me.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one, but I'm a little bit confused by the book already. Are Ann and Ruth merely a framing device? Or are they important to the plot? Thanks for giving enough information for me to know I probably don't want to ready this one!
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

stacie k wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 01:39 I’m wondering why we need Ann and Ruth? Are they in the other two books of the series? It sounds like the story is well done and enjoyable. Thanks for a great review!

Thank you for the comment ,really appreciate it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”