Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: Belgravia
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by yoda4ever »

Your review makes this book exciting and worth reading. I like reading historical fiction but was not sure about this book because of the title. I like how you mention that its easy to read.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I rarely find myself reading historical fiction, but it's not a genre I can say I dislike - there are simply other genres I enjoy reading more. I've been skeptical about reading this book, as it has a longer page-count and I wouldn't want to feel like I'm reading a history textbook. However, seeing this book get such high remarks (as well as from different readers) makes me really want to read it. I need to catch up with this hype! Thanks for the review (:
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

The Warramunga's War does look interesting. I am interested in historical fiction. This book's description reminds me a little, no offense intended, of the movie Casablanca, set in Casablanca, Morocco during the first or second world war. I'll have to see if I eventually get around to reading this book. :) I think it's on one of my bookshelves. Rosemary Wright, do you know where the term, 'Warramunga's' came from? Thanks.
nativePlnt5+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by nativePlnt5+ »

I thought this book,The Warramunga's War, didn't fit the content. The only members of the Warramungas were three people. I did learn something I didn't know about the German spies were their imitations of the language and dialects of Americans from Texas to pose as Americans. Also the Germans use of English novels as part of their codes. This book seems to be written for Australians as each time the "good" characters stopped at a water feature the author named the trees that were there when they were tracking the "bad" guys. Those trees would have no meaning to an American or anyone not familiar with Australian trees. :?
the_writer_chef
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by the_writer_chef »

Egypt as a setting for a spy/soldier-based story? That too in a historic period? Count me in.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Personally I am not a big fan of war based stories, however I have to admit that this review has captured my attention. I am cautiously optimistic to look into this book based on the rating given and comments on the review. Thank you for sharing with us 😊
meganmurphy450
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meganmurphy450 »

I really enjoyed this book, the visuals were amazing and it’s something I’ll remember for a while to come.
mrswordnerd
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by mrswordnerd »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 19:13 I like books set in that time period. The title just isn't descriptive enough for me to have picked this up on my own. But now that you have introduced it to me and given it a high rating, I'll have to look into it. Thanks.
I agree with kandscreely, the title didn’t grab me or really give me a sense of what the novel is about. Thank goodness for your review. I love when an author creates “team” protagonists, as I often find the dynamic between the two characters (if done right) is as entertaining as the story itself. And the fact that the author inserted gentle humor into a book about war is intriguing. I am going to add this to my self all thanks to your wonderful review. Thank you!
samk1990
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by samk1990 »

I love the way James and Jack are determined to complete their mission. Not to forget the romance in this book to be honest I love it
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is really wonderful and I guess you may end up liking such books. It is difficult to think at certain point that it is actually set during WWII because the story revolves around intelligence mainly.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book was very exciting and the historical content made it even more interesting. I think if I was a big fan of espionage novels I would have liked it even better. I enjoyed your review!
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I'm an enthusiast of historical fiction. The Egyptian setting definitely makes this an interesting book. I would like to learn more about how they carry out their intelligence assignment amidst all those rival camps.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

This historical fiction book sounds more like a true story than it is intended, stories related to the time period are becoming rare so I'm definitely having this in my to read list.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I'd definitely love to read this book, I love history fictions. And now the most interesting part in this book is the setting
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Nice review. My first reaction after i finished The Warramunga's War was something like "wow amazing book that need to be turned into movie".

If you enjoy historical fiction, this book is for you. The characters are complex and engaging and the author does a beautiful job of weaving actual historical events into the story. It's educational and entertaining at the same time. Well done, Greg Kater. :music-guitarred: :music-guitarred:

Return to “Historical Fiction”