Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainabu93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabu93.html
Latest Review: Effective Leaders and Leadership by Mildred Stallworth

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by zainabu93 »

:) I am convinced this book is interesting. There are three aspects that would make me go for the book according to the review as follows:

a)The book has minimal grammatical errors. This shows the author's seriousness to correctly relay the message.
b)The suspense that clearly comes out in the review. What happens to James and Jack in Cairo that is described to be an insecure location? I have an urge to interact one on one with the unfolding events in the plot.
c)The book has great stylistic devices as dialogue and music.

From the review, my heart is excited. I feel there could be some irony, the lieutenants are fun lovers!
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

Cairo has historically been an unstable environment. Given that Australia was under full British rule until the middle part of World War II, it is probable that Jack and James would fight directly for the British crown during their stint. Prior to the war, Britain had made movements to colonize areas of Africa, but African nationalism via pro-German loyalists dominated the area. Thus, unanticipated that Britain would seek to nullify representatives who worked with Rommel, who was central to the loyalists. A fictitious account of this campaign would be quite captivating.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

This Warramunga's War by Greg Kater is highly recommended by a lot of readers here at OnlineBookClub.org. Set in World War II, this historical fiction thriller is about two Australian spies who were assigned in Cairo, Egypt, to track down and neutralize German operatives in contact with Nazi commander Rommel at the North African and Middle East front of the war. In the first few pages, James and Jack are under fire from troops of the pro-Nazi French Vichi army. Exciting! I first encountered this book in August but I had to put off reading it because of other work. Now I have another chance to give this story a go! Congratulations to the author for the Book of the Day!
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

"the historical setting is excellent, and the narration is compelling" just these lines are sufficient to persuade me to add this to my want to read list.Thanks for the review.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Your review makes me wish I was more interested in war books. It certainly seems like a exciting and well executed piece of work, and with so many details based on facts I’m sure it would be an interesting read. I shall have to think about it a little, before committing myself to this one. Many thanks.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Sounds like a good book, and a great review. Not normally my type, but I may have to put this one on my "maybe" list as it sounds with the character development, and everything else that you liked about it that it would be a good read!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I enjoyed this book. The characters were delightful and so were the women characters. Great review!
:tiphat:
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

This review is great! It makes me want to read the book.
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

The books sounds very old school, which isn’t great. The history theme behind it makes me want to to read it . Also I love the wholeness hidden mystery concept .
Mani 4
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mani 4 »

The twist and turns, the friendship, love, mystery, purpose and strategies of the military makes this one of the best have read. The principal fictional characters interact with actual historical figures and events throughout the story. Jacko and Jaime. Get yourself a copy you would definitely fall in love with it... Storyline is exceptional
lexiskill
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiskill.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by lexiskill »

Being an avid reader of World War II fiction and non-fiction I thought I would enjoy this book. The first couple of chapters did not spark any interested for myself but for the right reader this book could capture their attention. It seemed very well written with a clear topic so I'm upset that it didn't interest me from the beginning. Great review!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I'm afraid books with the war element are not my cup of tea. Nevertheless, I can understand how interesting can this book be for readers who enjoy this genre. Good job on your review.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Enattah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Enattah »

Books about war, espionage has never been my kind of book but it seems to be interesting, absorbing &fast paced. I also love humour in a book.
Ctcntry4
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctcntry4.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Ctcntry4 »

I love how well written this review is and I’m glad the book is too. However I am not a fan of historical fiction novels so I won’t be reading this book.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

Love historical fiction and the plot sounds very interesting. I will definitely have to add this to my list of book to read. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”