Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by CheyenneR »

I've never read a book that included extras such as a sheet of music. As a musician, I'm pretty excited about something so small. It, for me at least, would make me that much more invested in the story to have a common ground with the characters.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I really enjoyed reading this book. A nice book on espionage in different countries and times. I gave it a 4 out of 4 stars as I think it deserves that rating. Thanks for the review.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater', contains the necessary introduction of the book! It is loaded with meaning and prepares our minds and bodies, to read the book! Also, reading the review, makes the historical background of the book, clear in the mind of readers!
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

Thanks for a good review. I enjoy historical fiction, and reading about the World War II era from an Australian perspective would be quite interesting. I look forward to this book.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

This seems to be one of those few books in which we cannot find any fault with the novel. What's more, it involves espionage and intrigue. It really deserves a perfect rating.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Wow, this sounds a must-read for me. I admit that with its majestic pyramids and Sphinx and a long history, Egypt makes a very interesting setting for a historical fiction. Add to it a little suspense and thrill and I am in. Thanks for presenting such a wonderful review to us.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is great. The book is simply fascinating. I like the adventures in it a lot. The review is good. Thanks.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

It is amazing how rare it is to find a book that is easily balanced between dialogue, action, and description. It is a very big plus that the reviewer felt this one was. I personally have a fascination with early 1900's Cairo, and I am intrigued that this is where the book is largely set.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I'm glad it is well-written, enthralling and full of action. I like historical fiction so this will be a worthwhile read. Great review.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Not being a huge fan of wartime historical fiction, I doubt I'm the book's audience. I always appreciate an author taking the time and effort to the do the research and get the historical details right though, which seems like the case here!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love historical fiction but I'm not into full-blown war stories. Still, I'm willing to reconsider if I'm enraptured by the presence of Egyptian Pyramids, humour and well developed characters. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Dayo_jummy
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dayo_jummy »

if by going with the title, I couldnt have picked it cause I'm not a lover of war Story base on what my country is facing currently but then I quickly picked interest just to know why war take place.
after reading the sample review, Jamie caught my interest on how he was made an army despite his profess then I understood why my husband always said if he had his way he wouldn't be a soldier .
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

World War II isn't my favorite era to read about, but this book still sounds exciting enough and I am fascinated by WWII undercover operations. I also don't know much about Egypt during this time, so this book could be a good way for me to learn about a new part of history. Thank you for the thorough review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Raul Fonoseca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raul-fonoseca.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Raul Fonoseca »

I really loved the book, especially the history surrounding the first and second world wars.Jacko fighting skills were marvellous in the face of attack.
BOLUkunle12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BOLUkunle12 »

This book has really talked and highlighted the historical background of an African city in the Egypt which is an eye openers for me.Thanks.

Return to “Historical Fiction”