Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is very good that the main protagonist show good character development. They were hight spirited and full of fun during a time of war. It is also good that the author gave an ample account of the historical details of the areas covered in the story. Great review.
Cheryl12
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl12.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cheryl12 »

"The Warramuga's War' by Greg Kater is book two of a series. During the second world war Jamie and Jacko met on the battlefield. Also, their assignment was to work as a team with M16 intelligence throughout the war.

Moreover, after the warramunga's aftermath of war led to Investigation of the post-war operation of a major criminal company connected with USA, Australia and South East Asia. There was a fishing boat that was found in great trouble during high waves at sea northwest of Darwin sometime in 1945. Jamie Munro who previously held the position of Army Officer and the well learned half-caste warramunga Australian, Jack O'Brien, who held the leading position of the CIS in Darwin, were given the assignment to probe on a child kidnapping activity sponsored by a shady circle of rich paedophiles.

CMcDermott
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Sounds like a really good one. I'm not really into historical fiction but i will give this one a try. The mystery and romance appeal to me.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

A great time period and an interesting read! I am not a huge fan of historical fiction so I may skip on this one. I'll keep it on my to read list just in case!
Taytay15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taytay15.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Taytay15 »

Based on this review I think I would be interested in reading this book. I do love to read about the 1940s era.
Neha_20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-20.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Post by Neha_20 »

I do enjoy historical fiction books, but the war theme isn't for me. The inclusion of the music sheet in the book is quite interesting! Thank you for your review.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I really enjoyed the dialogue between James and Jack in the sample. It is good to know that the story keeps their relationship interesting and that plot is fast-paced. Thank you for a great review
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Carly-maricque »

Thanks for the great review! Unfortunately, I do not like historical fiction books at all, so this book is a no-go for me. It does look interesting for people who like historical fiction books though.
Theo Sanders
Currently Reading: The Prize
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Theo Sanders »

Based on the title and cover I would never have chosen this book to read! But after reading your review and the sample I have completely changed my mind. The central characters James and Jack are written with a certain amount of "Aussie larrakinism" which I enjoy, and the cultural mix of Australians in Egypt is going to be fascinating.
Cori Nichols
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cori-nichols.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Cori Nichols »

it sounds like something that i would enjoy will have to check it out more.
Sneaky459+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Sneaky459+ »

I usually don't read books about war, but after reading your review I find myself drawn to the adventure and mystery of the book. I love romance and mystery, which I beleive this book offers a little of both .I look forward to reading about Jack and Jamie adventures .War causes all types of people to become adversaries and enemies, some are forced to work together for the good of the country . Very good review my interest was peaked.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

I have added The Warramunga's War to my reading list because of Ms. Rosemary Wright's endorsement of Greg Krater's novel. World War II novels are in and by themselves epic and the expectations on such books are grand. To a reader, it is like seeing an awesome mountain in the horizon. The idea of climbing to the summit seems daunting. You know there will be danger, suffering and love lost for its characters. It requires commitment from a reader to go through the emotionally taxing pages. But it is encouraging to see that Ms. Wright has found it "suspenseful, absorbing, well-written and easy to read." Mr. Krater is not letting words get in the way of the action. I'm now looking forward to reading it. Thanks!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

Historical fiction really isn't my genre, but this sounds like a well-written and professionally edited story, and I'm sure those interested in different time periods and locales will enjoy it. I was especially intrigued by the guitar music sheet that is included and wonder how it ties into the story.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Great review!! I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction but the story sounds well-written and exciting.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

Historical fiction isn't my favorite genre to say the least. It seems to be touch and go with me. That being said, I like you description of the book and appreciate that it is well researched and includes a touch of humor. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”