Official Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Cristina Chifane »

grahase71 wrote: 03 May 2018, 15:51 I have this on my 'to read' list. Sounds great. I love historical novels, whether fiction or non-fiction. Can hardly wait to start this one.
SEG
I can't wait to read the second book of the series.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

JodieLKM wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 11:13 I have just discovered this exciting book and am anxiously reading it. I love the idea of a strong female warrior and the mystical ability of Spirit animals. Combined, these two make for a great character that defies both her parent and her lineage in order to do what she thinks is right for all. Even though there are, at times, selfish intentions, she is a young girl with abilities she is not allowed to use, yet tries to use them to help those she loves. Even though the first pages are all I have access to, I can see the plot is well developed and the reviews are of great acclaim. I can understand why. Apollo's Raven is, by far, the best book I have read on mind-meld in a long time. This book seems to blend the best of the Druids with the best skills of the Native Americans, at times, and this is very intriguing. I have downloaded it to my Kindle just so I can read the whole thing. Even though I do not get to officially review it, I still want to read it.
I think you can still write a volunteer review or post a review on Amazon. The book really deserves all the praises. I felt the same as you did after reading the sample.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Angelica Caroro
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angelica Caroro »

The book is great i enjoy reading it thanks to the author:)
ldm83girl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by ldm83girl »

From reading your review, this novel is definitely one I will have to try. Being a history buff, with a strong interest in ancient Britain and celtic mythology and history, I think this would be a good read.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Very well detailed review. Tanner did a great job building the interest and curiosity of the reader from beginning to end. This book deserves some accolades. It'd make a great movie...
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

Thank you for the great review, you have pursued me to read the book.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This book is definitely worth digging into. Historical fiction that's well-written and thoroughly-researched has all the ingredients necessary to make it stand out. I enjoyed your thoughtful, detailed, and captivating review. Thank you heaps. :tiphat:
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Sold! This review is brilliant. I want to read this book. I love the fact that it is set so far in the past but I also relish the fact that it has fantasy and romance elements to it too. I can't help being reminded of The Shanara Chronicles with a touch of Tolkien worlds.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The impossible love affair seems to add more spice to the story, and combining it with hysterical fiction is more entertaining. It seems like characters are also nicely crafted.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An Epic Celtic tale revolving around forbidden love, intrigue, and magic is just my cup of tea. I have read the book and liked it. I also enjoyed the Roman and Celtic myths additions and the mix of genres. It enriched the tale. I agree the author wove a beautifully story, though the erotic scenes were redundant to my taste. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

The book's review sounds so sweet, how about the book itself? I'm in love with the book and want to read it too. i'm actually headed to the amazon to give it a try.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing historical fantasy novel with an enticing captivating plot and well developed and realistic characters that will keep you reading non-stop. This is the first book in the Appollo's Raven series and it was a great read. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars and loved reading and reviewing it. The onlinebookclub review was written masterfully. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Masch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Masch »

Thank you for the in depth review. I am a huge fan of history based books. The interweaving story lines and strong female characters is an added bonus. I cannot wait to read this novel.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I'm currently reading this book already. I love how Catrin has a special connection with her raven. She can bond, and see through it's eyes, but she's been told by her father not to. Her sister doesn't even believe that she can. I'm really excited to keep reading.
chapter-one
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chapter-one.html
Latest Review: Band in the Wind by William John Rostron

Post by chapter-one »

This sounds like an absorbing read. Political intrigue and romance in an ancient world, exciting stuff.

Return to “Historical Fiction”