Official Review: Painted Days by Peter Driscoll

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Painted Days by Peter Driscoll

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Painted Days" by Peter Driscoll.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Painted Days: A tale of origins by Peter Driscoll is a work of fiction set 8,000 years ago in Northern Europe. Though it fits well into the genre of historical fiction, it also gives the reader glimpses of modern-day science techniques such as carbon dating and magnetic resonance imaging. In this book, the author weaves a story around what could have been the way of life of our ancestors at the start of the Mesolithic period.

In a small office at the University of Leeuwarden, we see a jumble of carved and dusty pieces of wood, a stack of clay tablets, and a staff with intricate carvings placed close to a computer screen. This is where Dr. Carl Bolt works, along with his partner Dr. Barbara Bolt, on these pieces to uncover stories of a little-known past. As the Bolts examine these artefacts, we are transported back in time to an era where people had to hunt for food and live in tribes that had to keep moving according to the moods of the forces of nature.

We then meet Talid—an expert hunter—who knows exactly how to survive best with the natural resources around him. He is the one who chops down just the right trees to build rafts, the one who knows how to listen to silence and sense trouble around him, and also the one who falls hopelessly in love with a green-eyed beauty from a rival tribe. Named Jalinyi, this girl reciprocates Talid’s feelings. What follows is a beautiful love story between the two. We also see how there are girls going missing from their tribe—a mystery that gets solved only in the last few chapters of the book. Can Talid and Jalinyi figure out who is responsible for the abductions? Or, will this task have to be taken up by the generation that follows?

This book provided a fascinating look into the possible history and culture of early humankind. The story kept me guessing about what happened to the missing girls and when they would be found. I particularly liked how Talid’s character was resourceful and fearless while being protective, loyal, and caring to Jalinyi. Don’t we all want someone like that in life?

I frequently disagreed with some of the philosophies the members of the tribes held, like when all the men of a tribe slept with the same four women who were already weak due to lack of food. The logic was simply explained by a statement made by the tribal chief who says that they are duty-bound to do this “not for lust or desire, but for the survival of the tribe.” However, these unique perspectives provide the reader with some food for thought as to whether these unpalatable deeds were common in the days of yore.

While this book is educational and the plot is exciting, it is not an easy read in terms of flow. Though the author appears to be a native English speaker, the writing quality of the book seems to seesaw between good and bad. There are a number of typos and awkward sentences. A number of errors with regard to pronouns, such as the use of “he” instead of “she” and vice versa can also be observed. Also, the author seems to have confused the names of some of the characters in certain chapters. For instance, on page 52, one of the sentences starts as “Talid pulled her back and they crept up the track to the other side….” This becomes confusing to the reader as Talid is not even part of the scene and the author seems to have used his name in place of that of another character in the book—Rhatha. I believe this work could still be made excellent with the help of a professional copy editor.

I rate Painted Days 2 out of 4 stars because the numerous errors on every page negatively impact the whole reading experience. That being said, this is a beautiful story that got me thinking about how people in the late Stone Age had to brave difficult weather conditions and suffer from starvation for a large part of their lives. I just wish the book could have been a little bit more polished. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a healthy mix of action, deceit, and love in a story.

Painted Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one wouldn't be for me as I'm not sure I share the cave man belief. That along with the 2 star rating makes this one a turn off. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

The jumble of carved and dusty pieces was a great starting point for this story. Too bad the author let it down from there :doh:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 19:07 This one wouldn't be for me as I'm not sure I share the cave man belief. That along with the 2 star rating makes this one a turn off. Thanks for the review, though.
Oh yeah...the cave man way of thinking is definitely not my cup of tea either. Glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for stopping by! :)
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

NL Hartje wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 22:12 The jumble of carved and dusty pieces was a great starting point for this story. Too bad the author let it down from there :doh:
I agree. There could have been more mention of the archaeology aspect of things. The long drawn out explanation of life in the Mesolithic period is monotonous. Gets tedious after a bit.

Thank you for your comment :)
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

It's a shame the writing style was so inconsistent; this book seemed like it had some real promise. I'm a fan of stories that bridge the gap between technology and history.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

ViziVoir wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 19:28 It's a shame the writing style was so inconsistent; this book seemed like it had some real promise. I'm a fan of stories that bridge the gap between technology and history.
When I started reading, I had high hopes with this book too. There are some parts of the book that are really great to read. However, the errors put a damper on the whole experience.

Thank you for your comment! :)
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Sounds interesting. But I pass on the book and the spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Thanks for a good review. It's too bad about the lack of editing because it sounds like it is an interesting story otherwise.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

ValBookReviews wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 19:39 Sounds interesting. But I pass on the book and the spoiler alerts.
Thanks for your comment, Val! Yes, this book might be better to read in a better-edited format.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

dtb wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:41 Thanks for a good review. It's too bad about the lack of editing because it sounds like it is an interesting story otherwise.
I agree. The author has stretched his imagination to great lengths. It’s really unfortunate about the bad edits, which spoil the reading experience for us readers.

Thank you for stopping by!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Samy Lax wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:39
ValBookReviews wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 19:39 Sounds interesting. But I pass on the book and the spoiler alerts.
Thanks for your comment, Val! Yes, this book might be better to read in a better-edited format.
Indeed, Samy: I agree! Thanks for your reply. :tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I hope the author gets the book edited, the storyline sounds interesting. It's too bad it had problems with flow, and that it had a ton of errors which negatively affected your experience.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

ritah wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 09:37 I hope the author gets the book edited, the storyline sounds interesting. It's too bad it had problems with flow, and that it had a ton of errors which negatively affected your experience.
Yes, you echo my thoughts. Just a basic copy edit can do wonders for this book.

Thank you so much for stopping by! ❤️
SamGee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgee.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by SamGee »

The plot of the book seems to be interesting enough. It's unfortunate about the errors in editing though.

Return to “Historical Fiction”