Official Review: Highland Bloodline

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: Highland Bloodline

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Highland Bloodline" by Florence Love Karsner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Highland Bloodline, by Florence Love Karsner, is a historical fiction novel and the third book in the Highland Healer Series. This book begins during the continuing aftermath of the Battle of Culloden. Caitlin MacKinnon is gifted as a healer, but still struggling to control all of her powers. She is also with child and nearing the end of her pregnancy. Word is spreading throughout Scotland that the British are hunting down Jacobites and throwing them in prison to await either execution or enslavement in the Caribbean. The MacKinnon men, including Alex, Caitlin's husband, are skeptical about the news, but deeply concerned nonetheless. Unexpectedly, a boy of 14 appears at their door. Robbie turns out to be Alex's son. He had only learned about his true father just before his mother's death. Having grown up in Edinburgh, Robbie is unfamiliar with Highland life and initially struggles to fit in with the family.

Not long after Caitlin delivers her baby, scarlet fever strikes the family. As Caitlin tends the sick, Robbie discovers one of his strengths as he helps nurse the little ones. Alex and his brother Jack head off to Edinburgh to find out how much truth is in the rumors they have heard. When they don't return as expected, Caitlin and Robbie make the dangerous trip in search of them. What they discover in Edinburgh will test them all and reveal a shocking truth about an old acquaintance.

I love the history of Scotland and enjoyed this book tremendously. Even though I have not read the first two books in the series, I had no difficulty following the storyline. Caitlin's unique powers make her a fascinating character. She is a strong woman and yet she lets her husband lead. The historical setting provides the fuel for much of the tension in this book. This gives the plot a very natural flow since the events that occur in the life of the Mackinnon family are largely plausible. Robbie turned out to be my favorite character. His development, and the development of his relationship with his father, Alex, is truly heartwarming. This novel concludes with plenty of opportunity for the series to continue, which I certainly hope it does.

I found only a few typos in this book and one minor formatting error that recurred sporadically throughout the book. A number of times, the paragraph break appeared as an extra large space, with the next paragraph starting on the same line. I did not find this problematic as far as reading and understanding the book. My only complaint would be a few little anachronisms. It does not seem too likely to me that cocoa would be available in post-Culloden Scotland, at a time when scarcity was nearly everywhere. The use of the metric measurement, meters, also seemed rather out of place in the 18th-century Scottish setting.

I am giving the book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it 4, but with the formatting problem and the anachronism, I feel it just doesn't quite make the cut. I would recommend this book to Outlander fans and anyone else interested in Scottish history. This book contains to adult content, so it would be suitable for younger readers a well.

Highland Bloodline
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

This is something new. Even though it is historical fiction, I see there is a bit of fantasy and action in it. The healing powers, the hunt, the search of the missing people. There seems to be a lot to this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the amazing review! It seems like a great mix of fantasy, romance and a mystery, making it a fast-paced read. I’m already tempted to pick this one up.
OMCee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by OMCee »

It was a wonderful review. I see action in it.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love your brilliant review of this very interesting and unique story. I hope things turn out well for Alex and Jack in Edinburgh.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for the insightful review. Anachronisms are a bit problematic with historical fiction. Authors and their editors have to consciously look out for them. Tempting book for me as I have never visited Scotland before. Cheers!
esthermesh

Post by esthermesh »

it is a good review, fill with mystery and fantasy, and the right amount of suspence i am already hunting for the book.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

It's nice to see there are still stories of strong women who are not shamed for their femininity like they often are in Hollywood. Especially since the strongest women I've ever known are ones like this. I'm willing to read this series just for that.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Interesting premise for a book! It certainly sounds like it was a good one, possibly movie material? Too bad about the anachronisms and formatting. Great review, I was able to get a good grasp of the plot and characters.
elizabethi

Post by elizabethi »

Robbie folllow the footstep of his mother must be an intelligent and promisery child by discovering one of his strength by helping to nurse younger ones. Remember Caitlin MacKinnon was gifted as a healer strugling to control alll of her power likewise her son was gifted because he learnt about his parent obey them and follow yhere footstep. i love this story.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I appreciate the character development you described and that the book is "clean." I'll have the check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
davidolu
Currently Reading:

Post by davidolu »

Interesting premise for a book! It certainly sounds like it was a good one, possibly movie material? Too bad about the anachronisms and formatting.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I have never come across this type of historical fiction. When I read this "She is a strong woman and yet she lets her husband lead.", Caitlin sounds like a Biblical woman who is submissive to her husband. I believe this will be a good and fascinating read to me. Thank you for sharing this with us.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 07:30 I have never come across this type of historical fiction. When I read this "She is a strong woman and yet she lets her husband lead.", Caitlin sounds like a Biblical woman who is submissive to her husband. I believe this will be a good and fascinating read to me. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Yes, this is one of the few times where I have found a character outside the Christian fiction genre who displayed this kind of strength. Honestly, I think it speaks more to the character of a wife to let her husband be the leader of the family because respecting that role prevents so much relational tension and makes it so much easier for the husband to listen to the wife's thoughts.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

SamSim wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 19:56 I appreciate the character development you described and that the book is "clean." I'll have the check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thanks, it sure is a rare find these days.

Return to “Historical Fiction”