Official Review: Highland Bloodline

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: Highland Bloodline

Post by revna01 »

This sounds like a wonderful book with an exceptional female character. Interestingly, I noticed the published date on your review is from March! Did it take that long to make its way to the reviews? Thanks for a great review!
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

SABRADLEY wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 14:43 This sounds like a wonderful book with an exceptional female character. Interestingly, I noticed the published date on your review is from March! Did it take that long to make its way to the reviews? Thanks for a great review!
It did. The author did not respond to the blurb and it was only just now published. (Lost a popularity point when they did publish it though, so now I’m trying really hard to get replies and views and get my average up, sighs, oh well) glad you enjoyed it.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

DancingLady wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 15:06
SABRADLEY wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 14:43 This sounds like a wonderful book with an exceptional female character. Interestingly, I noticed the published date on your review is from March! Did it take that long to make its way to the reviews? Thanks for a great review!
It did. The author did not respond to the blurb and it was only just now published. (Lost a popularity point when they did publish it though, so now I’m trying really hard to get replies and views and get my average up, sighs, oh well) glad you enjoyed it.
Wow, almost three months later! Good luck with getting your averages up soon :)
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

This seems like an interesting book! Historical fiction books are my absolute favorite, and this one appeals to me. However, I will say that I agree with your view on the anachronisms. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a historical fiction book contains information that isn't quite right, or contains items or language that did not become common to that area until later in time. Thank you for your review!
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this thorough and precise review. I’m unfamiliar with 18th century Scotland, so I’m interested in this novel.

I hear your point about the anachronisms, but I do think it might be possible to not let them be too distracting.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Irene C wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 11:55 Thanks for this thorough and precise review. I’m unfamiliar with 18th century Scotland, so I’m interested in this novel.

I hear your point about the anachronisms, but I do think it might be possible to not let them be too distracting.
It totally is, I didn't find it to be a big problem, but it's important to mention things like this in a review, and it helps the author as they continue to write.

Return to “Historical Fiction”