Official Review: The Lonesome Train by Joyce McGee Peden

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The Lonesome Train by Joyce McGee Peden

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lonesome Train" by Joyce McGee Peden.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The unpredictability of life in early twentieth century rural Arkansas challenges the family of Ella Smith in The Lonesome Train. Author Joyce Peden tells the tale of a young girl and her family as they face hardships that only strengthen their determination to overcome.

Ella Smith took on the responsibilities of motherhood at the age of seven. Her beloved mother passed away soon after giving birth to baby Daniel. Ella’s father worked hard on the railroad to provide for Ella, her sister, and three brothers. Ella’s heart was broken when baby Daniel was sent away to live with another family. His work on the railroad kept their father away for weeks at a time, so the baby needed adult supervision. Ella and her remaining siblings cared for themselves during these weeks, surviving hunger, illness, and harsh weather. Nevertheless, the children were happy and enjoyed adventurous playtime when their daddy was at home or away on the railroad. The children were surprised and anxious when their father announced that he was to marry, and the family was moving to the city. Living with their stepmother, Ella and her siblings face challenges greater than they could have ever imagined. As she longs to be back home in the country, Ella wonders if she will ever see her baby brother, Daniel, again.

This story was based on the life of the author’s mother. The love and admiration the author feels for her mother shines through in this story. Ella is a strong and extremely likable character. She is brave, optimistic, and a loyal friend.

This is an engaging story and a relaxing read. I was emotionally invested from start to finish. The family’s dedication to one another gives each character a vital role in the story. My favorite stories are those of true or fictional narratives of lives lived during World War I and II. Ella’s story of life during the Great War held my attention through to the end. There are a few grammar errors in the text, but these errors do not disrupt the flow of the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a beautiful story of historical fiction. The author’s use of descriptive language creates a vivid visual of a rural small town in early twentieth century Arkansas. Readers with a love for classic novels will enjoy this book. This is a story that families can enjoy together. Ella’s story highlights the importance of a loving family and the power of persistence.

The Lonesome Train
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

After reading your review, I want to know if Ella will ever see her baby brother (Daniel) again too! The Lonesome Train sounds like a blend of heart-breaking reality and inspiring love, mixed with tenacious perseverance. Added to my "To Read" list. Thanks for the great review, and congrats to the author on achieving 4-stars!
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I really enjoy historical fiction! Your glowing review makes me want to read this story and learn what happens with Ella and Daniel. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
piccolo jj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by piccolo jj »

:D the book is nice. thanks.
Faith Mbasani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-mbasani.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Faith Mbasani »

You're beautiful review makes me want to take a leap of faith and read the book. (I find historical fiction too emotional; I hate crying while reading :D :D ) Let me sleep on it. :P
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It sounds like Ella had to grow up really quickly. I'm interested to hear her story and follow her life. Thanks for the review. I think I'll have to look into this one further.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for this review - it sounds like one for the whole family, as you say.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

LOVE historical fiction. This one sounds really moving too - I suspect I'd be in tears. Great review, thanks for posting.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Ella has to be made of sterner stuff to endure her challenging childhood. I love these kinda stories. Thanks for the review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Penny Lee wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 23:52 After reading your review, I want to know if Ella will ever see her baby brother (Daniel) again too! The Lonesome Train sounds like a blend of heart-breaking reality and inspiring love, mixed with tenacious perseverance. Added to my "To Read" list. Thanks for the great review, and congrats to the author on achieving 4-stars!
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for reading my review.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

stacie k wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 00:01 I really enjoy historical fiction! Your glowing review makes me want to read this story and learn what happens with Ella and Daniel. Thanks for a great review!
It’s a good story. Thanks for reading my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

piccolo jj wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 01:40 :D the book is nice. thanks.
Thanks for reading my review!
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Faith Mbasani wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 07:59 You're beautiful review makes me want to take a leap of faith and read the book. (I find historical fiction too emotional; I hate crying while reading :D :D ) Let me sleep on it. :P
I’ve read books that had me sobbing, so I know what you mean. The story is more likely to relax you. You probably won’t cry. Thanks for reading my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 08:02 Wow! It sounds like Ella had to grow up really quickly. I'm interested to hear her story and follow her life. Thanks for the review. I think I'll have to look into this one further.
I hope you enjoy Ella’s story! Thanks for reading my review.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Libs_Books wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 09:01 Thanks for this review - it sounds like one for the whole family, as you say.
Thanks for reading my review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”