Official Review: The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Re: Official Review: The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis

Post by Quinto »

I'm glad the book has received such glowing tributes. Reading it the reviewer wonders whether its a lost classical. Wonderful review!
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I am a fan of historical fiction, although I've never encountered one in which it splits between the past and the even further past before; the idea intrigues me. I also love the French setting. I'll need to wait until I can give this book proper heed, but I will keep it in mind. Thank you for the helpful review!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I love French history. I've read non-fiction and historical fiction alike on the subject so I could tell this was a book I'd like. Glad to hear that it's so good. I received an offer from Amazon for Kindle Unlimited for 99 cents for three months so I decided to try it out and I was able to get this book. Exciting! Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for your insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
olarotimi16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olarotimi16 »

Dennis’s debut is an ambitious, sweeping epic of French history between 1776 and 1832 that follows two men decades apart who are loosely connected through two elusive, fabled heirlooms—a priceless necklace called the Cross of Nantes and lyrics to the devil’s song, said to contain a secret. Set mainly in France and Saint-Domingue (now Haiti), the story begins with Xavier Traversier, French heir to a failing dynasty in Nantes, who goes into shipping and the African slave trade to restore his family’s fortune. The Guerrier family of Saint-Domingue were in possession of the Cross of Nantes; years later, a fateful meeting between Estelle Guerrier and Xavier forged a connection between the families and the missing necklace. Decades later, Jake Loring is an American studying in Paris who leads a foiled rebellion against the king and is arrested. A stranger frees him on the condition that he find both artifacts, called the Crimson Heirlooms, a journey that takes him around France and to Ireland, culminating in Jake’s discovery of a shocking secret that connects the two heirlooms, and a newfound suspicion that his involvement is not a coincidence. In this remarkable, webby tale, Dennis uses the heirlooms as the link to weave Xavier, Jake, and many other story lines into the politics, religion, social issues, culture, and ideas of the time. Meticulous research, sharp historical detail, and a deepening mystery results in an exciting story. A cliffhanger ending ensures a sequel
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Am intrigued by The Crimson Heirlooms. It's a great historical fiction written by Hunter Dennis. As per the review by Katiesquilts the books sounds interesting and worth reading. I must confess that it has stolen my heart and therefore I will give it a read.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

A book on historical fiction! Certainly a treat for lovers of history. I like that the author periodically shifts the setting between the 1700s and 1800s. Sounds great for braking up monotony and adding flavor to the story, besides appreciating French history during those times. It builds up the suspense too! A big thumbs up to the author Hunter Dennis!
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Completely shook by the author's writing style and mode of narration. This book screams perfection. Although, I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, I must say that the sample of this one changed my mind.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Carris72 »

Am not much of a historical fiction fan but it sounds like an amazing story. Thanks for the review.
PriyankaBhowmick
Favorite Book: Damn the cancer
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka-bhowmick.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by PriyankaBhowmick »

The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis...the cover picture of this book is amazing... this story is a great mixture of history, adventure, mystery...it's such a lovely story... :)
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

This is a very passionate and thorough review, thank you for your input! I'm touch-and-go with historical fiction - sometimes I find a book in the genre that I love and other times I find myself bored out of my mind. I think I'll have to give this one a shot though!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I've had the chance of reading the sample and I was totally impressed. I completely agree with your rating of this historical novel. The author skillfully brings to life two moments in French history and creates memorable characters. It reminded me of Michel Zevaco's novels featuring Pardaillan and Fausta. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
aolusegun20
Favorite Book: The Surgeon's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolusegun20.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by aolusegun20 »

I love historical fiction. The story on the treasure has really caught my attention to read this book.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I love historical fiction. Absolutely. Although, I haven't really read a lot of French history, I think that this might be a good place to start. Thank you for that marvelous review. You have aroused the desire in me to read this novel.
MA
Silas Nyamweya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silas-nyamweya.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Silas Nyamweya »

I am not a fun of lengthy novels, but the book by Hunter Dennis certainly provides a kind of curiosity that anyone would want to delve more into. Similarly, the review has stirred my interest in what transpires within the time and I will surely find some time to read the book myself.
jeremino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jeremino »

Wow Good review, The cover art is beautiful and it makes me want to be in that time and place
Congratulations to the author Hunter Dennis

Return to “Historical Fiction”