Official Review: The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: Decentralized Globalization: U.S. Foundations, Civic and Civil Society and the Rise Of NPPOS . My Book Is Out On PROFMEX - by Dr Olga M Lazin

Re: Official Review: The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis

Post by Quinto » 10 Jul 2018, 23:51

I'm glad the book has received such glowing tributes. Reading it the reviewer wonders whether its a lost classical. Wonderful review!

dragonet07
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Song Bird by Christine M Knight

Post by dragonet07 » 10 Jul 2018, 23:57

I am a fan of historical fiction, although I've never encountered one in which it splits between the past and the even further past before; the idea intrigues me. I also love the French setting. I'll need to wait until I can give this book proper heed, but I will keep it in mind. Thank you for the helpful review!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss

truebookaddict
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2017 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: The Queen of the Damned
Currently Reading: The Anomaly
Bookshelf Size: 3650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict » 11 Jul 2018, 00:20

I love French history. I've read non-fiction and historical fiction alike on the subject so I could tell this was a book I'd like. Glad to hear that it's so good. I received an offer from Amazon for Kindle Unlimited for 99 cents for three months so I decided to try it out and I was able to get this book. Exciting! Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for your insightful review!
“That's what I thought too, when I was your age. If there's just one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If they're all alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other?” ~Harper Lee

olarotimi16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olarotimi16 » 11 Jul 2018, 00:25

Dennis’s debut is an ambitious, sweeping epic of French history between 1776 and 1832 that follows two men decades apart who are loosely connected through two elusive, fabled heirlooms—a priceless necklace called the Cross of Nantes and lyrics to the devil’s song, said to contain a secret. Set mainly in France and Saint-Domingue (now Haiti), the story begins with Xavier Traversier, French heir to a failing dynasty in Nantes, who goes into shipping and the African slave trade to restore his family’s fortune. The Guerrier family of Saint-Domingue were in possession of the Cross of Nantes; years later, a fateful meeting between Estelle Guerrier and Xavier forged a connection between the families and the missing necklace. Decades later, Jake Loring is an American studying in Paris who leads a foiled rebellion against the king and is arrested. A stranger frees him on the condition that he find both artifacts, called the Crimson Heirlooms, a journey that takes him around France and to Ireland, culminating in Jake’s discovery of a shocking secret that connects the two heirlooms, and a newfound suspicion that his involvement is not a coincidence. In this remarkable, webby tale, Dennis uses the heirlooms as the link to weave Xavier, Jake, and many other story lines into the politics, religion, social issues, culture, and ideas of the time. Meticulous research, sharp historical detail, and a deepening mystery results in an exciting story. A cliffhanger ending ensures a sequel

Kister Bless
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Kister Bless » 11 Jul 2018, 00:38

Am intrigued by The Crimson Heirlooms. It's a great historical fiction written by Hunter Dennis. As per the review by Katiesquilts the books sounds interesting and worth reading. I must confess that it has stolen my heart and therefore I will give it a read.

joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by joycechitwa » 11 Jul 2018, 00:43

A book on historical fiction! Certainly a treat for lovers of history. I like that the author periodically shifts the setting between the 1700s and 1800s. Sounds great for braking up monotony and adding flavor to the story, besides appreciating French history during those times. It builds up the suspense too! A big thumbs up to the author Hunter Dennis!

daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by daniya__shah3 » 11 Jul 2018, 00:52

Completely shook by the author's writing style and mode of narration. This book screams perfection. Although, I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, I must say that the sample of this one changed my mind.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Carris72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carris72.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Carris72 » 11 Jul 2018, 01:05

Am not much of a historical fiction fan but it sounds like an amazing story. Thanks for the review.

Priyanka_bhowmick
Favorite Book: Immortals' Requiem
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Priyanka_bhowmick » 11 Jul 2018, 01:11

The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis...the cover picture of this book is amazing... this story is a great mixture of history, adventure, mystery...it's such a lovely story... :)

klwoodford
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford » 11 Jul 2018, 01:18

This is a very passionate and thorough review, thank you for your input! I'm touch-and-go with historical fiction - sometimes I find a book in the genre that I love and other times I find myself bored out of my mind. I think I'll have to give this one a shot though!

cristinaro
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 11 Jul 2018, 01:38

I've had the chance of reading the sample and I was totally impressed. I completely agree with your rating of this historical novel. The author skillfully brings to life two moments in French history and creates memorable characters. It reminded me of Michel Zevaco's novels featuring Pardaillan and Fausta. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

aolusegun20
Favorite Book: The Surgeon's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolusegun20.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by aolusegun20 » 11 Jul 2018, 01:49

I love historical fiction. The story on the treasure has really caught my attention to read this book.

Melchi Asuma
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading: Do a Little Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma » 11 Jul 2018, 01:54

I love historical fiction. Absolutely. Although, I haven't really read a lot of French history, I think that this might be a good place to start. Thank you for that marvelous review. You have aroused the desire in me to read this novel.

Silas Nyamweya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silas-nyamweya.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Silas Nyamweya » 11 Jul 2018, 02:07

I am not a fun of lengthy novels, but the book by Hunter Dennis certainly provides a kind of curiosity that anyone would want to delve more into. Similarly, the review has stirred my interest in what transpires within the time and I will surely find some time to read the book myself.

jeremino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jeremino » 11 Jul 2018, 02:12

Wow Good review, The cover art is beautiful and it makes me want to be in that time and place
Congratulations to the author Hunter Dennis

Return to “Historical Fiction”