Official Review: The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Re: Official Review: The Crimson Heirlooms by Hunter Dennis

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review! I like how the author lets us see how the heirlooms wound up missing. It adds to the excitement of wondering if they'll be found! I didn't not see the cliffhanger coming haha. Will add to my WTR shelf!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

You had me until you compared it to Les Miserable. I love time travel books but avoid books with unhappy endings like the plague. I suppose this isn't "truly" a time travel book as it's not the characters traveling, just pretty much a 'time skip' back into the past. Although historical fiction isn't really my thing, the mystery of lost heirlooms sounds intriguing. Thanks for the review!
maryculverflint
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by maryculverflint »

I really wasn’t convinced I would enjoy this book until I read this review. You began getting me interested when you wrote; “guiding them through historical events with a firm hand on their backs, making them feel as if they had been there themselves and were just reading another person's view on things.” However, you sealed the deal for me with; “Skipping into time periods like a silk glove.”
Okay! I hope you are a writer, because it would be a waste if not. Great review!
SP33DY+H33DY+R3ADY
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by SP33DY+H33DY+R3ADY »

Historical fiction, one of my favourite genres. The book's first few pages describes the heirlooms, about how they came to be, how they went missing, why they were sought after and their physical and moral worth based on the fact that one was 'tangible and the other not so tangible' as the author had written in different words.

The story then revolves around the description of a few characters, their lives in different circumstances in different times and how the choices that they made to shape their own future led them through journeys and experiences they so longed for so as to exist and live in unison with both themselves and others.

Through their lives's evolution, the interweaving of the existence of the heirlooms like pieces of a puzzle are introduced which makes the story sporadically spontaneously intriguingly mysterious and interesting.

Chapters are a combination of conscious intellectuality in science, history, literature, philosophy, etcetera, immediate revelations derived from these fields (for example with the use of metaphors so artistically), the bravery needed in life, the romantic side of life and various other resolutions of focus.

So in my opinion, although I only read the sample, the heirlooms so described above as invaluable assets and values are because they were revered and as mentioned in the start, they were found; not necessarily in a tone of "yes! I found it" sort of way but primarily through positive efforts and experiences.
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

The layout of this novel reminds me of The Night Circus, a novel in which time jumps from chapter-to-chapter are integral to the reader’s journey towards full understanding. I love the concept of covering time jumps from important periods in French history. It is absolutely more fun to learn history in story form than to simply read the “facts” as presented from one perspective. Oftentimes, historical fiction has the added value of providing multiple perspectives and glimpses into different standards of living in the past.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. Historical novels are not my cup of tea and I found it hard to get into the sample. Glad yo enjoyed it
Gdansincredible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Gdansincredible »

Writers are magnificent displayers of the non-existent which are actually true in form of write-ups! From the tittle of a book, you get to know how interesting of boring a book can be. From the preview so far, "THE CRIMSON HEIRLOONS by HUNTER DENNIS," is actually a book you want to follow up. The tittle of a book attracts you to reading the book. I thinking I am ready to read it...
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Great review! I enjoy reading your review and you have made me decide to read this book. I like reading historical novels fiction or non-fiction. What little I have read about "The Crimson Heirlooms" now and before. It is history from the fortunes of its creator, the Traversier family of Nantes and now author "Hunter Dennis" who put so much work and research into this novel.
Kgirl3366
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgirl3366.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Kgirl3366 »

Great review. Your description of this book surely grasped my interest. The combination of historical and mystery themes in this book seems very captivating. It would be a privilege to experience and learn a part of France's historical culture through this book. Your review was well written and had stimulated my desire to read this book.
Gdansincredible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Gdansincredible »

Going for a story like this won't bring regrets but an enjoyable moment of privacy!!! The tittle of books speaks so much of a book and the tittle of this book would make you want to read it...

I am ready to go for it.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I am not that big a fan of historical fiction but this one has definitely caught my eye. Sounds like something i shouldn't pass up.Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds interesting. I don't usually read historical fiction but might give this one a try. I like that it has different time periods of France and an air of mystery about it. I also liked hearing that there's a great cliffhanger. Thanks for your review.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Not usually what I like to read but this one sounds good. It has a mystery as well and I do love a good mystery!
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

Thank you for your review. It was refreshing to know that knowledge of French history isn't needed to be immersed in the story, as mine is zip. I was a little disappointed to read there's a cliffhanger at the end though, as it almost makes me not want to read the book. Maybe I'll wait until the next installment is out of it's not already.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
You're right!”
:doh:
- Henry Ford

No amount of guilt can change the past.
No amount of anxiety can change the future.
:indubitablysmile:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am admittedly a huge fan of Les Misérables and enjoyed it thoroughly. So, I think this one should be quite interesting to me as well. What particularly intrigues me in this book is how the millionaire will finally find the two heirlooms he is seeking. Great premise!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Historical Fiction”