Official Review: Rapidan by Jeff Wallace

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Rapidan by Jeff Wallace

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rapidan" by Jeff Wallace.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rapidan by Jeff Wallace is a historical fiction novel that delves into certain aspects of the Civil War. It especially deals with slavery and the Underground Railroad.

Captain John Holland, wounded in battle, has been moved to home of the Van Meer family for recovery. With time, they come to appreciate and feel for him. After a time, John’s superiors make the decision to remove him from the family home. The family members are accused of being spies. Not content to simply remove John from the premises, the family members are persecuted. Anna, the daughter, escapes prison and death. During his convalescence at their home, John had fallen in love with Anna. He disobeys military orders and goes in search of her. Can he locate her and save her before his superiors kill them both?

The Rapidan River in Virginia referenced in the story was a vital crossing point for the armies in the Civil War. The other historical facts are accurate and pertinent to the story. The author especially highlights the situation of the slaves. This theme is then expanded to include those who ran the Underground Railroad. The dangers they faced and the risks they undertook to get slaves to the North are presented in an understanding and thoughtful way.

I truly enjoyed the focus the author gave to the slaves and the Underground Railroad. He presents a side of this phenomenon that is rarely highlighted. The depictions of the army and their living conditions are also well done. The living condition of freed slaves is taken into account. And finally, the author presents in a clear and vivid way the social injustices which women in this time period confronted.

The conversations in this story were excellently done. The story is written in third person giving the reader a universal view of the motives and thinking of each individual. The mood was also appropriate to the plot. There is a swing between suspense and calm, tension and peace.

The only thing I did not like about the book was the frequent use of incomplete sentences. For example, on p. 6: “Surrounding Holland, the unfamiliar house and its creaks, knocks, and recurrent, bewildering sounds of scratching.” I understand that the author is using this as a literary device, but its excessive use became irritating.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The subject matter had been studied extensively and was true to historical facts. The story was interesting and engaging, including the insights into slavery, the Underground Railroad and the freed slaves. I would recommend this book to readers of historical fiction and students of history in general.

Rapidan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The story tells the harsh reality about Civil war but I feel it also has some hidden meaning. Wonderful! I can see why you have given a 4 stars. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 08:12 The story tells the harsh reality about Civil war but I feel it also has some hidden meaning. Wonderful! I can see why you have given a 4 stars. Thank you for your review!
So many historians focus on all the same things. I really appreciated the way this author highlighted a different angle of the events. This is a great book. Hope you enjoy it, too!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy stories about the underground railroad. I don't see enough of those any more. This defintely sounds like one that is interesting and informative. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

I've JUST finished reading a historical novel focusing on the American Civil War, (Yesterday, reviewed for this site) and am inspired to read more! That one wasn't focused on slavery though, and I'd love to give this one a go. Great review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

My brief stint in learning about United States history left a lot to be lacking. I might pick this book up to get some fresh perspective on probably the most divisive conflict of an era.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Historical fiction, and particularly ones from the era, really interest me! I look forward to seeing this author’s take on the Underground Railroad. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Historical Fiction”