Official Review: "Terror In Manila"

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: "Terror In Manila"

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Terror In Manila"" by Frank Q. Aurillo, Jr.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Terror in Manila" by Frank Q. Aurillo, Jr. is a short book that combines the genres of science fiction and historical fiction. In this work, Aurillo uses time travel to explore his speculations about what might have happened if the Philippines didn't gain independence from the United States in 1946.

In the modern-day Philippines, Nick and Francis build a time machine. After a successful test run, they plan a mission to the past with the intent to stop the annunciation of Philippine independence from the United States. Nick travels back in time to 1946 to carry out this mission. Looking back on the decades that followed independence, Nick believes the Philippines would have been able to modernize and industrialize quicker and more successfully if it had remained a United States territory. While he planned carefully for his mission to the past, he quickly runs into unanticipated challenges. Nick is brilliant and courageous and believes his mission is in the best interests of his country, but can he successfully alter the course of history? Would it have truly been for the best?

This book provided a fascinating look into the history and culture of the Philippines. I enjoyed learning many new things and hearing those things I had studied told from the Filipino perspective. A great deal of background information is given regarding the history of the events in the book which helps the reader understand how the Philippines developed in the 20th century, as well as explain Nick's reasons for believing that changing history would help his country ultimately be better in the present day. While I frequently disagreed with Nick's philosophy, his perspective provided a great deal of food for thought.

While this book is educational and the plot is exciting, it is not an easy read with regards to flow. Mr. Aurillo does not appear to be a native English speaker, so I hesitate to be too critical as this work is a tremendous accomplishment for someone working in a second language. That said, there are a number of errors and awkward sentences. I believe this work could be made excellent with the help of a native English speaking editor. I personally found some of the dialogue regarding the "science" of time travel a bit tedious as well. Additionally, the copy I received was rather difficult to read as it was a PDF document that appeared to be a scanned copy of a printed copy. While it did not really bother me that the text was sometimes a little crooked on the page, a few words were blurred here and there and the text was extremely small when reading on a mobile device.

I am giving this book a 2 out of 4 because I did not get a user-friendly or professionally made ebook copy and because it needs some editorial work. This is a wonderful story from which I gained valuable insight into the history and culture of the Philippines. I just wish the book could have been a little bit more polished.

"Terror In Manila"
View: on Bookshelves

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A book that shows a different perspective in a situation; If this happened, if this not happened. Talking about possibilities! That's great! Thank you for sharing your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's often difficult to read books by people who aren't native English speakers as there are certain nuances to the language that they tend to miss. I like the idea of this book, though. It's too bad it doesn't come together well. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a very clear and balanced review. I'm really keen on those 'alternative history' or 'what might have been' books - and you're right, they're kind of historical and sci-fi at one and the same time. The educational aspect of the book would really interest me, but I'd find the problems with the writing a bit off-putting.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 08:04 It's often difficult to read books by people who aren't native English speakers as there are certain nuances to the language that they tend to miss. I like the idea of this book, though. It's too bad it doesn't come together well. Thanks.
Thanks, I would have to say it’s a short enough book you might still enjoy it in spite of the flow. I’m hopeful that the author will be able to work with a good editor and improve this work as I think he really has something great here.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Can I just say, what a great review. Really clear and very fair. This sounds like exactly the kind of book that would be right up my street. I love alternative history stuff, and the little I know about the recent history of the Philippines suggests there's plenty of room for "what-if"s. But I would find poor editorial work frustrating too - maybe that's a fairly quick fix for an editor to get hold of? Perhaps the author could consider it.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have been wanting to read this book. I am Filipino, and I also sometimes think of the "what if" scenario. I wonder how my fellow countryman Aurillo ended his story.

Thanks for the review, Dancing Lady!
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

londonmartine wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 05:44 Can I just say, what a great review. Really clear and very fair. This sounds like exactly the kind of book that would be right up my street. I love alternative history stuff, and the little I know about the recent history of the Philippines suggests there's plenty of room for "what-if"s. But I would find poor editorial work frustrating too - maybe that's a fairly quick fix for an editor to get hold of? Perhaps the author could consider it.
Thank you so much, that is very encouraging. I do think it would take a bit of work to polish up this story to make it a smooth read for American readers, but it is certainly doable with a good editor.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 06:45 I have been wanting to read this book. I am Filipino, and I also sometimes think of the "what if" scenario. I wonder how my fellow countryman Aurillo ended his story.

Thanks for the review, Dancing Lady!
I hope you do get that chance! I would love to read your review and hear your thoughts.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The combination of science fiction with historical fiction is new to me. This book would provide an interesting way to learn about the history of the Philippines through an entertaining time travel plot. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

It's a shame this book didn't live up to its full potential, especially because it seems like it has some really interesting concepts it could've expanded upon. Hopefully, the author invests in some professional editing and continues writing.
bouasone411
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bouasone411 »

"Terror in Manilla" by Frank Aurillo. I think the review was fair. The positive aspect of his review that i liked was that the "what if" portion of his review. There is always a what if question or scenerio as we all would love to see a smoother transition or shift. Though it is a fictional story line, it does not take away from the real world life events that took place as the phillipino people assisted the united states with the war efforts against the axis powers and it was under those conditions that they would receive freedom. The phillipino people were not concerned with assistance as they wanted the power to govern themselves. In a sense there are those who would perceive this decision under desperation without though for the future. How ever although the phillipines are in the current state that they are in. And to be honest I believe the US focused their main efforts to clean up after the war in Europe and the Japan to many territories to cover and since they were allied country it was easier to come to the decision to let them govern themselves.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

bouasone411 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 20:07 "Terror in Manilla" by Frank Aurillo. I think the review was fair. The positive aspect of his review that i liked was that the "what if" portion of his review. There is always a what if question or scenerio as we all would love to see a smoother transition or shift. Though it is a fictional story line, it does not take away from the real world life events that took place as the phillipino people assisted the united states with the war efforts against the axis powers and it was under those conditions that they would receive freedom. The phillipino people were not concerned with assistance as they wanted the power to govern themselves. In a sense there are those who would perceive this decision under desperation without though for the future. How ever although the phillipines are in the current state that they are in. And to be honest I believe the US focused their main efforts to clean up after the war in Europe and the Japan to many territories to cover and since they were allied country it was easier to come to the decision to let them govern themselves.
Thanks. I think you are definitely right. Personally, I think history was the right decision here, but things could have been done better maybe.
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

Currently reading this book too. I am sorry for the kind of copy you received, which i think hindered the flow of the story. Otherwise, for me the story is great, as it gives me insight about Philippines culture, political struggles and the rest.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

The author uses time travel to explore his speculations about what might have happened if the Philippines didn't gain independence from the United States in 1946...Wow!!! Sounds an intriguing read for fans of Science Fiction and Historical books! Not a book for me,though. So I will pass. Thank you for the great review! 😀

Return to “Historical Fiction”