''Purple Hibiscus'' by Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Omohobhio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

''Purple Hibiscus'' by Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie

Post by Omohobhio »

So I read this book in my secondary school days (some refer to as high school), and i instantly got a feel of the African culture. The book is a masterpiece. Talks about a typical modern day African setting (Father, mother and the children). The father, a religious fanatic, who I will say possesses the typical 'African Father Figure', an autocrat, ambitious, self-reliable, possessing the 'scary' father traits, which many of us (especially Africans), are accustomed to.The mother is the submissive type, which is very typical of the culture of the Africans, and the children, smart, disciplined and a more or less, timid.
We are made to understand the different backgrounds in parental guidance from two families - Eugene Achike and Aunty Ifeoma's.
The major themes of the book focuses on:

* Traditional indigenous belief in relation to contemporary western belief.
* The profound effects of the various forms of violence.
* Personal sacrifice and it's various manifestations.
The list goes on and on.
I believe this book, actual does not only portray the typical African culture, it also gives an in-depth of the natural world of the African community, the political instability, as well as it's religious values it posseses.
fatimahade
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fatimahade »

I read it twice,great book
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for reminding me of this. I'd heard it was a great book, and I really must get around to reading it sometime.

Return to “Historical Fiction”