Sunne in Splendor by Sharon Kay Penman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MonicaMPark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Sunne in Splendor by Sharon Kay Penman

Post by MonicaMPark »

Hey, wanted to share a review of my favorite book!! It's about the life of English king Richard III, and brought a new perspective in the early 80s to the prevailing belief that Richard was an evil man who killed his nephews in the Tower of London, with an update since Richards body was found in Leicester in 2012.
The novel is a long one-935 pages- but it reads really fast!! Penman brings to life the 30 year struggle called the Wars of the Roses to life, breathing life into the long list of kings and nobles who fill this story. Her Richard is a real life flesh and blood man, whose pain becomes real to the reader, and that pain becomes unbearable as each twist and turn in the story leads inexorably to his horrible death at Bosworth field... This is a must read for anyone who loves a good drama, anyone who loves a good family saga, and any history fans... there are some graphic battle scenes, and some sex scenes, but this is a truly great novel!!!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This book sounds as though it would be right up my street. Do you know The Daughter of Time by Josephine They, in which a detective explores whether Richard III was guilty of the murder of the Princes in the Tower? I was totally sold on that when I first read it, but since then I've come to the view that he probably did order it. I won't ask you what this book says about that, as I don't want a spoiler!
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I am a huge fan of this writer. I also think she has the knack for dialogue in historical fiction absolutely spot-on.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Historical Fiction”