Official Review: Strangers In Another Country

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: Strangers In Another Country

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strangers In Another Country" by Lawrence G. Taylor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Strangers In Another Country, is written by Lawrence G. Taylor. It has about 172 pages and is written in narrative form, giving personal experiences of different black men from Guyana, who moved to foreign lands expecting good life. They struggle with love affairs, culture shock and financial issues. Being in countries where there is racial discrimination proves to be difficult and draws them closer to other blacks regardless of where they are originally from. A French-African man commits suicide when life becomes unbearable for him. We see how Moby, originally from Guyana, comes to the aid of Grey, who is originally from the United States of America, simply because he is black, and is therefore considered a brother.

I like the brotherhood that is displayed by these young black men and their willingness to support their own. The author has developed the characters quite well and their stories are a close reflection of his own experience as he struggled to settle in London from Guyana as a young man. The effects of racism that young people go through in foreign lands come out clearly in this book. One has to be strong at heart and be willing to be social enough to make friends.

What I did not like about this book was the suspense encountered at the end of each narration. Just when the reader reaches the climax of the story, it ends abruptly. I think the author could give us more on the interaction between the individual characters and the people they encountered to thicken the plot. We see Mr. Charlie cook up an excuse for not going to work so that he can meet a girl through his friend. He has been keeping off social life and is therefore excited. When the girl knocks on his door, he opens it and sees her smiling at him. The story ends there.

The grammatical errors are minor and do not interfere with the easy read. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have denied it a rating of 4 because I feel that the plot is not thick enough. I cannot rate it lower because I enjoyed reading it.

I recommend this book to anyone who is struggling to settle in a foreign country. Facing discrimination should not lead to desperation and suicidal thoughts. The book can be read by young adults and those who want a quick read with cliffhangers.

Strangers In Another Country
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Okoko's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I thoroughly enjoyed this review. Thanks for sharing. I totally understood what you mean when you said that the plot needed to be thickened but it was still a good read. I've come across a lot of books like that.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you Jaime Lync for reading the review. I really do appreciate your comments. It's a very interesting book to read if you overlook the cliffhangers.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Interesting review! I find it odd that a historical fiction book has cliffhangers; perhaps the author recognized his need for more plot and wanted to add some excitement? In any case, thank you for the review! It definitely would be a different read for me!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you Jkhorner for stopping by. Each of the stories end pretty much the same, with cliffhangers! Thanks for the comments.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've never really moved anywhere that was not within my "culture." So, I can't really relate to what the characters were going through. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been. Sounds like there are a few issues with the story, but it's a good read overall. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thanks kandscreeley for reading and commenting. It was quite a challenge for them to settle, considering that they were in their late teenage and early twenties.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

These are the kind of stories that easily grabs my heart. I am unsure about the cliffhangers. It seems like a part of the short story genre that they often will leave the reader to fill in where the story goes after the writing is finished. Sometimes I like that; sometimes I do not. I think if it is every single story that might grow old.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Hi Kat Berg, you might just like this one. It was a new type of read for me and very interesting. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for your comments.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

This sounds like a book I would love. I really enjoy stories about immigrants in a new world. Thanks for the review
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Hi RebeccasReading, good to know that you enjoy reading stories about immigrants. Hope you will read and enjoy this one. Thanks for your comment.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Oh I can feel you as you give details about the sudden abrupt ending, too bad, it sounds like if the author is planing to write a part 2 of its series. Yet a fascinating read! I like the way how story is approached from different individuals and it depicts the reality that any foreigner or a immigrant would face when settling or living in a foreign land for a long term period. Thank you for the fascinating review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I wish that the author is considering a part 2 series because i am so looking forward to reading it! Thank you Sahani Nimandra for reading and thinking the same about part 2.

Return to “Historical Fiction”