Official Review: Toru by Stephanie R. Sorensen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Re: Official Review: Toru by Stephanie R. Sorensen

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I just love the cover, all been mystical and thrilling which is very captivating. The ideology behind the plot is very fascinating but the repetition is a bummer. Sad! I wanted to look into it but I certainly don't want a book giving me a bad experience. I hope the author can look into it. Thank you very much for all the explicit details mentioned in the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 08:45 I just love the cover, all been mystical and thrilling which is very captivating. The ideology behind the plot is very fascinating but the repetition is a bummer. Sad! I wanted to look into it but I certainly don't want a book giving me a bad experience. I hope the author can look into it. Thank you very much for all the explicit details mentioned in the review!
You're welcome! And, yes, the repetition issue is awkward, but it's not extensive--just pops up here and there. :) I'll actually be keeping my eyes open for sequel.
Maiya Eliab
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Maiya Eliab »

Toru's present life became afflicted when everything from the past came back causing a slight paranoid tippled through time adventure.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I don’t know much about Japanese history, but I certainly enjoy their cuisine. This looks really interesting. I’d love to get a better handle on the history in order to better understand the culture. I didn’t even know there was a law against leaving and returning! That’s shocking to me as a person of western culture. Shows me how much I have yet to learn.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

DancingLady wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 15:41 I don’t know much about Japanese history, but I certainly enjoy their cuisine. This looks really interesting. I’d love to get a better handle on the history in order to better understand the culture. I didn’t even know there was a law against leaving and returning! That’s shocking to me as a person of western culture. Shows me how much I have yet to learn.
The author also includes notes at the end of the book, clarifying some of the facts from fiction--something I appreciate from authors who write fictional accounts of history. Historical fiction, and especially alternate history, aren't as accurate sources as nonfiction history, but it's still interesting to see where an author included real facts in a novel and where he/she took creative license to write something different. :techie-studyinggray:
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

A commercially literate man trying to prevent an invasion in his country sounds quite amazing, especially if he's willing to sacrifice his life for it. It's very common in Japanese stories to enhance themes of honor, love, and sacrifice for their country. Too bad the timing seems surreal in the story. Thanks for this interesting review!
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

Historical fiction isn't usually my cup of tea, but I adore Japanese culture. This may help me enjoy the genre more than I do. Though, it's slow pacing and errors with timing are a bit of a downer. Thanks for your insight!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

This sounds very promising. As a rule, such books are written about Westerners in Japan. But in this story there is a refreshing twist. Thank for review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”