Official Review: Cossack by Ronald McQueen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Cossack by Ronald McQueen

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cossack" by Ronald McQueen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cossack by Ronald McQueen is an illuminating story that gives us a glimpse into the plight of the Cossack people around WWII. The story introduces us to a once-thriving staništa (Croatian for habitat or living space) that now just includes a handful of houses, farm buildings, a slow-moving river, and a rusted tractor. This is where the Cossacks lived and a few of them still live—people belonging to the Don and Dejnev families.

The people in the staništa have learnt to live with what is now their hard reality and know how to celebrate the little things in life. But, this doesn’t last for long, as what remains of these families is attacked and destroyed by Russian soldiers. One of the very few who escape from these soldiers is Katja Dejnev—a girl “just approaching the first bloom of young womanhood.” Where does Katja go from here? Whom does she turn to? This forms one of the largest chunks of this beautifully written story.

I have read my share of historical fiction, but this one is something that will stay on top of my mind for a long time to come. The author has taken great pains to spell out every little detail that would help us imagine the settings, the battles, and the characters. It is these details that ensured that I took my time reading the book. I found it to be an emotional roller coaster. It’s not easy to read about the hardships faced by the Cossacks as they get trapped between the Nazis and the Red Army. But, the strength and determination shown by each of the characters makes it a true story of inspiration.

This book is a must-read if you enjoy learning more about history that hasn’t been heavily documented previously; however, if you are new to historical fiction, you might want to pick another book before you dive into this one.

There are breaks of sorts in the story as you see it flow from the perspective of three main characters from different backgrounds— Katja (introduced earlier in the review), Andrei, the old but dependable veteran; and Mikhail, the young, brave soldier. This gives us pause and helps us assimilate the new events that happen in the lives of each of these characters as they move through Europe, fighting and fleeing from the enemy.

There is no doubt that the author has done his research abundantly well. Though there is a disclaimer before the book begins that the story weaves some fiction with real history, it’s hard to tell in places where fact ends and where fiction begins. The writing was so wonderful in most places that I found it easy to get emotionally connected to the main characters.

I selected this book to read as I was curious to know what the author’s perspective was on WWII; however, I never imagined it would teach me so much about Cossack history. I was impressed at the depth of narrative.

Nevertheless, there were times when there were jumps back in time that were introduced into the story without preamble. This was disconcerting. For instance,
Katja was thrilled.

Beside her on the front board of the wagon, Mikhail looked up and smiled at the girl. He had some idea of how impressive all this must be – a simple farm girl who had probably never seen anything much larger than a village-sized stanista. For someone like that Novocherkassk must seem like a dream.

And so, with Katja gaping, open-mouthed at her surroundings, they entered Novocherkassk, the modern capital of the Don, where the lives of everyone were about to change forever…

…Huge sobs wracked her body and she couldn’t breathe. She was lying half on the floor and half in someone’s arms, and someone was talking to her. After what seemed a long time her sobbing settled down and the words finally got through to her.

‘There, there little one, there’s nothing to be afraid of. They have gone.’”
I noticed a number of typos and punctuation errors in the book. It requires another round of efficient proofreading and that should do it. However, these errors did little to detract from the overall story.

This book is historical fiction at its emotional best—though I’ll have to nip off a point here for the unwarranted jumps back in time. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars for its thoroughly researched, realistic storyline, relatable characters, and matter-of-fact and vivid take on the plight of the Cossacks during Stalin’s rule. If you are a fan and regular reader of historical fiction, you will love this book—provided tragedy doesn’t affect you too much.

Cossack
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

A novel about a part of WWII I don’t know much about — wonderful. Thank you for an enthusiastic review!
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Irene C wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 16:01 A novel about a part of WWII I don’t know much about — wonderful. Thank you for an enthusiastic review!
Thanks for stopping by, Irene. Yes, this one was worth my time. Anyone interested in knowing more about the history of Cossacks will love this one!
SamGee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgee.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by SamGee »

Such stories inspire us to a great extent and show us how trivial all our problems are compared to what people have had to face during wars.

Beautifully written review. Pleasure to read!
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

SamGee wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 06:52 Such stories inspire us to a great extent and show us how trivial all our problems are compared to what people have had to face during wars.

Beautifully written review. Pleasure to read!
Thank you so much. Really appreciate your kind words!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There are so many different aspects to WWII that really aren't talked about as much. I'm glad this one was well-researched. However, historical fiction isn't really my go to genre. I'll put this one on the back burner and think about it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 09:17 There are so many different aspects to WWII that really aren't talked about as much. I'm glad this one was well-researched. However, historical fiction isn't really my go to genre. I'll put this one on the back burner and think about it. Thanks!
Yeah, maybe someday when you feel like a cup of tea and some moving WWII story, you could go for this one :) Thanks for taking the time out to comment!
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

Thank you for writing this review, it has definitely caught my attention. The Cossack people are one perspective from WWII that I've read absolutely nothing on. I love that you mention the emotional attachment as well - I actually have found it hard to find too many historical fiction novels that really nail that side of things.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Interesting review. We find ourselves focusing on just a few particular groups that were majorly impacted during WWII. A historical fiction like this book seems to do a great job enlightening and creating empathy for an ethnic minority previously overlooked.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I have been considering reading this book for awhile but I wasn't sure if the focus on Cossack would be too dull. Looks like I should give it a read! Thanks for the review.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

OrlaCarty wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 06:12 Thank you for writing this review, it has definitely caught my attention. The Cossack people are one perspective from WWII that I've read absolutely nothing on. I love that you mention the emotional attachment as well - I actually have found it hard to find too many historical fiction novels that really nail that side of things.
Thanks for stopping by, Orla!

Yes, I admit I knew nothing about the Cossacks until I read this book too. It's definitely worth a read if you are OK reading war time stories. Thank you for your encouraging words!
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

CommMayo wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 11:43 Interesting review. We find ourselves focusing on just a few particular groups that were majorly impacted during WWII. A historical fiction like this book seems to do a great job enlightening and creating empathy for an ethnic minority previously overlooked.
That's a really wonderful way to look at it. Yes, we tend to not think too much about most ethnic minorities, whereas they prove to be among the bravest around us.

Thanks for stopping by and for the words of encouragement!
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

RebeccasReading wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 12:05 I have been considering reading this book for awhile but I wasn't sure if the focus on Cossack would be too dull. Looks like I should give it a read! Thanks for the review.
Yes, I don't think this book will disappoint you. I look forward to reading your review on the book too.

Thanks for stopping by and for posting your thoughts in the comment!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a beautiful novel about WW2. I am personally interested in historical fiction. So I think I should give it a try. Thanks for your insightful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 02:25 It's a beautiful novel about WW2. I am personally interested in historical fiction. So I think I should give it a try. Thanks for your insightful review.
Yes, Sarah. I think you would like this one. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Return to “Historical Fiction”