Official Review: Cossack by Ronald McQueen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
beck0823
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 26

Re: Official Review: Cossack by Ronald McQueen

Post by beck0823 »

After reading the sample for “Cossack,” I think this review really hits the nail on the head. I will agree about the time jumps, I had to go back and re-read those sections at first because I thought I missed something. However, beautiful descriptions and an interesting sub-culture immediately captured my attention, and I will be putting it on my bookshelf!
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

I'm always nervous to read about true accounts from wartime- it just seems to be too much of an emotional roller coaster. But knowing that it is written with sensitivity and hope gives me a desire to hear what the author has to say. Thanks for your thoughtful review!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I love to read books on World War II. I
am interested in historical fiction genre. I will give it a try. Thanks for your review.
Blessyn5
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Blessyn5 »

One of the historical fiction that gets your spirit lifted and hearted motivated into yawning to know more about WWII. Thanks for that great insightful review
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you for the review, I don’t gravitate toward war novels, so this one is not my cup of tea. It looks like it would be a great read for those who like the genre.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Cossack, by Ronald McQueen', makes a commencement of our plan to read the book and states all the important points related to it!
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I'm so interested to know more. I've never even heard of the Cossaks, which means this is probably a book I should read.

I really appreciated the reviewers description of the authors writing. I like that the writer has done his research about the people he's writing about and the real life struggles and stories they would have gone through. I'm glad that the author found the words to tell those stories.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

gali wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 07:06 A story that gives us a glimpse into the plight of the Cossack people around WWII sounds enlightening. It is good that author has taken great pains to spell out every little detail, but it can become tedious after a time. It is good that the book was well- researched. Too bad about the lack of efficient proofreading. I am glad that you still enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
I know what you mean when you say too many details make a book tedious to read. However, they do help us better recreate that world in our imagination. So, it kind of adds to the power the book has on us.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I found quite a couple of grammatical errors too in the sample alone. I didn't find the plot all that interesting so I will have to pass.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I found the sample fascinating in the concept and detail of the lives of the Cossacks. This is a world and lifestyle about which I know nothing. From the innocence of her idyllic childhood, Katja is suddenly thrown into a dangerous world of death and fear. I would be keen to keep reading and discover what happens to her. There were some different words used by the author, that I didn’t immediately understand but were clearly appropriate to the time and place, yet I could ascertain the meaning (at least generally) based on the context of the sentence and so it was not distracting from the story.
What a shame that further editing is needed.
Thanks for your review.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I did not enjoy the sample that much and felt that the book was made out to be a lot more interesting and well written than the sample. Overall I think that it is difficult if the timelines are merged as it gets confusing.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I am not a big fan of his torical fiction. Which is why I agree with you that maybe I should read other books first. Great review however.
MA
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

Your review sells this book perfectly. I am not a fan of historical fiction. Your review, however, made me doubt my allegiance to this type of genre. You have humanized every aspect of this book, the characters overcoming hardships, the inspiration achieved and the emotional connection it represents. Well done! I enjoyed reading your review and am tempted to read this one.
karmstrong12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by karmstrong12 »

I actually was not a huge fan of the long descriptions in the sample. I feel like parts of the description were unnecessarily long. However, there are some great action parts, like the horrible ransacking. The attention to detail in that part was well done and not over the top. This sample piqued my interest, but i don't know if i can get over the long descriptions. The story does seem interesting and better than "another WWII story."
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

This is one of those time periods that I’m actually rather fond of reading about. Not only do I find it important, but the stories of these people are the sort that really need to be read. I’m glad that this book is detailed and thought of so highly by you. Thanks for writing a review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”