Official Review: Cossack by Ronald McQueen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Cossack by Ronald McQueen

Post by dragonet07 »

I love historical fiction and learning about little-known aspects of history. It's a shame about the proofreading errors, but I might be able to get past them for the content. Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

A superbly written historical fiction set in WWII. I didn't know much about the Cossacks but Ronald McQueen opened my eyes to their plight back in the war. This is one I look forward to reading.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

Great review--you listed all the same pros and cons I noticed in the little bit I've read so far. I was also confused with the jumps in time. The author has taken an ambitious tack in trying to juggle so many different characters and time frames, but a number of his transitions aren't working. If he could fix that, though, it could be a very interesting approach...instead of a confusing one.

Most of the errors I noticed were improperly placed commas. A good editor should be able to catch those easily.

But, despite the author's faults, the story is very interesting. I did love the beautiful descriptions, from scenic descriptions like the wind sweeping across the steppes to historical details like how the Cossacks could hide their entire cavalry in plain sight. I had trouble connecting with the characters, but I always felt like I was there in each scene because of how well McQueen described it.

I have too many books on my plate to read this one just now, but I hope someday I will be able to finish it.
Rheetah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheetah.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Rheetah »

I have really never been a fan of historical fiction and the mention of tragedy is enough to stop me from reading this book. The review was amazing though.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

This sounds like a very emotional and powerful read. The proofreading thing drives me crazy but it sounds like, if the author gives it another once over, it could easily be a 4-star book.

Excellent review!
Sunday Stanley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sunday Stanley »

I always thought historical events should be left not known because to me it was extremely boring but this book Cassock by Ronald McQueen enlightened me on the usefulness in knowing your history. Bringing such a massive historical events into a piece of writing,I will say is a great feat
Francesjay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Francesjay »

It's really captivating, I can't help wanting to read the full book. I'm kind of drawn to this katja
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I am interested in reading the rest of this book after reading your review. Historical fiction is not really my favorite genre but this one seems intriguing because it focuses on a part of World War 2 that we don't know much about. No one really talks about the Cossacks so I liked learning more about their history. I liked that you mention that the book was very descriptive and well researched, that's a major plus. Great review.
Lwanzo
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Lwanzo »

:lol2: The reader did well the revision of this book, because apart from the explanation that it presents to us, one has the idea on what the author Ronald McQueen us meets through his book Cossack. I understand that this was an astonishing situation, because almost all the population had perished. Thank you, and good luck for this good review.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, especially if there's no tragedy! Nevertheless, I like the sound of Cossack, never heard of them before. It would be nice to fill up on their lives during that trialsome period of WWII, provided I don't cry too much! Thanks for the awesome review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Ruadhan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruadhan.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ruadhan »

What an interesting subject. I know nothing of Cossacks, from WWII or any other era, and to know this book exists at all is a wonder. Thank you for the review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I love historical fiction and I like deep books in the genre so this one would probably be for me. Also, I haven't read anything from the perspective of the Cossacks. I'm definitely intrigued. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Although historical fiction is not something I read often, I do enjoy reading it. When it comes to this story, I am unsure on whether I'll be reading it or not. I like that the story takes place during WWII, but I just can't see myself interested in it. However, I'll read the sample and see how it goes. Thank you for the review.
Sue Mulligan
Currently Reading: Troublemaker
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-mulligan.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Sue Mulligan »

Captivating historical fiction dotted with memorable imagery- This is an engaging story. Thanks for the review.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A historical fiction about the Cossack history. I'm intrigued by your review and want to read this book. Thanks.

Return to “Historical Fiction”