Official Review: Cossack by Ronald McQueen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mideworld48
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Cossack by Ronald McQueen

Post by mideworld48 »

As every settler has got a background; beginning, I have always wanted to look into the history of the Cossacks, but in three main characters (Katja, Andrei, and Mikhail), the author did just what I could define as perfect. This book has gone back in history to the WWII and brought it back, in good tune, well-defined manner. Now I can get a go-ahead to further do my research on the Cossacks. It's a great book as I am concerned.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

The beautiful culture of the people is very interesting. To learn about other people culture is great especially when blended with modernization thriller. Thanks for this review.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

I've never heard of the thrilling story of the Cossack people. I like book set in wartime and your review captured my interest.
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Ohhh, historical-war novel! I think I would like this one, I'm into historical-war nowadays. I'm glad I read your review. Thank you for a great review!
Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas
Currently Reading: Not Dead Yet
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinwale-taiwo-ilyas.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Akinwale Taiwo Ilyas »

Another book on historical fiction set around happenings in the world war 2, your review was great and I really found it helpful it gave me an insight into what the story is all about, I'll definitely read it.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I love historical fiction books on war. They present an interesting aspect of humanity. I should read this soon.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Vickypure_Strings

Post by Vickypure_Strings »

Thank you so much for the review.
I am personally interested in historical fiction so I will definitely read the story of this cossack people
Godfrey Eseh

Post by Godfrey Eseh »

This is an interesting story, this shows that success does not matter your background or where you come from, its about your determination and your effort to get what you really want for yourself
Ayanfe_1985
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayanfe-1985.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Ayanfe_1985 »

Thanks for the review. it is still making history interesting rather than the boring subject in school.i feel more of emotion than the history string. to think of the survival and her journey into the future of life ahead almost took a stream of tears from my eyes. yet i did not feel a lock up connection with the WW11 description. Thanks to the exposition from the review; its not recommended for first time readers of historical sci-fi ... but all the same for an old timer, its a way to go.
Would like to read this book, probably i may be more captivated than i envisaged.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

DancingLady wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 07:12 Wow, I only knew of the Cossacks as the Tsars guards. I had no idea they lost lost this position of honor rather than transitioning with the new regime. I hope I get a chance to delve into this history more.
I hope you find some time to read this book too. I am sure you'd enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I absolutely agree with you that this was a very illuminating story. Although I read only a sample of it, it already had me in its gripes. I have not previously read any books on Cossack history, let alone one which elaborates their old customs and habits in such detail, nor one that describes their fall from grace and in spite of various sufferings, their stubbornness to cling to traditions in such a humane way. However, since I had already read your review before sampling the book itself, I should have watched out for the abrupt time-jumps, yet the very first one of them left me utterly confused for a time. This was a most disconcerting experience while reading an otherwise interesting book.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Vickypure_Strings wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 04:02 Thank you so much for the review.
I am personally interested in historical fiction so I will definitely read the story of this cossack people
Agreed! I just read a sample of this book on Amazon, and I love the way that the writing reads! It flows so poetically and the descriptive language is some of the best I have ever seen. The subject matter is very interesting to me and it is on my reading list.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh

Return to “Historical Fiction”