Official Review: The Deserving by Efren O'brien

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: The Deserving by Efren O'brien

Post by Britty01 »

The review by Kathryn was very thorough. It definitely made me want to read this book and I have a good understanding of the time it will take to thoroughly digest it. I like history and as I am not all that familiar with American history regarding the Civil war it will be interesting to complete a reading of this book. I like the fact that there are historical characters in this story and I liked the illustrations in the book also. The first few chapters introducing the character of Emile and how he left home, the family dynamics and struggles they faced, his journey towards being a scout for the Southern Army has me interested in reading more, even though I understand that at times it may be a bit difficult to keep up with the storyline.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Thanks for your very informative review. I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but this sounds like an interesting story based on actual events, if a little "dry" in places. I imagine it would be a difficult balance for an author to strike in historical fiction, between staying true to reality and advancing the story.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

Thank you for your review. I am intrigued by this book but the difficult to follow story line is a little off-putting. I may just give it a try and if I don't like it then that is just the way it is.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I'm an old pro at reading historical fiction and I could tell immediately just by looking at the cover that I was going to like this one. After reading the synopsis, I'm definitely intrigued. Even after reading your review with your notes on the story being hard to follow (that can often be the case with readers unfamiliar with the genre), I'm convinced this will be a book I will enjoy. We shall see! Thanks for your insight.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
krithikagowri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krithikagowri.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by krithikagowri »

Thanks for the review. Historic fiction is not my genre. The books sounds a bit dry so will pass
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Seems like I'll have to be careful avoid being swallowed by the storyline. Other than that, everything looks great! I'll be adding this novel to my want to read list! Thanks for the review! :)
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Such a nice historical fiction. I hope that Emile did something to stop the civil war. Fighting his way and eventually climbing ranks in the army has reiterated the need for hard work. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I am personally not very into historical books, especially war based ones. This does sound like an amazing and engaging book for history fans. I may just have to check it out to see the authors writing style.
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

One of the biggest complaints I get from my students when we read older literature is that the story itself is hard to understand as a result of all the description. I have found this to be especially true when reading Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. The key for any text with lots of description is to read it with a specific purpose: to enjoy the author’s choice in language, to understand cultural and historical perspectives, to enjoy the story, to learn something to apply to your own life. You will, no doubt, understand better when you read with a purpose. I highly recommended to anyone reading this text that they pick their purpose for reading before reading a page of this text. Make
the experience more meaningful by following a specific path. If you have the chance to read it again, try reading with a different purpose and notice how the experience changes.
Sam_G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sam_G »

Though personally I am not interested in historical books especially war based but your brief review awoke an interest in me to read the book.
Yes there are some dry areas found in the story and facts somewhere over rolled with fiction.
But its a quite interesting book shows bravery and a good option for history lovers.
Thank you for your brief review.
Great Work..!!
nelson1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nelson1 »

The book is very interesting, the author did a very nice work. I find it worthy reading.
Lesliersmith
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesliersmith.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by Lesliersmith »

I am always up for a good fictional novel. I am, however, unsure of how the deeply historical approaches are going to go if I were to read this novel. Thank you for your review.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I absolutely love historical war fiction and I have yet to read on the Confederate brigade trying to conquer the entire Western US for the Confederacy. I love when they have descriptive settings and realistic battles and characters, and it teaches me a bit of something new.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I enjoy reading historical fiction and I think I would enjoy reading about the Civil War. However, due to your one complaint I feel I would need to do more research on the book.
ruchira
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ruchira »

rate:03Out Of 04
This Seems Perfect!!!
I am still Reading.
Thank You!!!

Return to “Historical Fiction”