Official Review: The Deserving by Efren O'brien

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Re: Official Review: The Deserving by Efren O'brien

Post by kemp1kor »

I think it’s always difficult to find a balance between giving a reader enough and way too much background or descriptive information. I’m happy to hear that the reviewer enjoyed this book, but historical fiction is not for me.
Madhu14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhu14.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Madhu14 »

I love reading historical fictions. This book seems promising after reading your review on it. I am definitely going to read it. Thanks for the review.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

An interesting Western post-Civil War fiction. A good read that draws the reader into that era. Sometimes it was more history than fiction, but still well done.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

Thanks for this review. At least I have got a little idea about Emile and his abusive father. I have also learned about McGrath and Carmen. I have never enjoyed reading history books since highschool and so I will take your advice not to start with this book. :D I feel I'm so new to historical fiction.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Dee_7Reichardt
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Currently Reading: Tears and Trombones
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-7reichardt.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dee_7Reichardt »

Thank you for the review. It was good to know that those who have not read much historical fiction may find this book difficult to digest. I think that your description is helpful because historical fiction should be based on actual history. It's gratifying to know that the author has a strong basis in this history. I am looking forward to trying this book out in the future, even if the story is hard to follow.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Thank you for your very thorough review of The Deserving. I think I would like to read this historical fiction book because learning history through a story is a bit more interesting than otherwise. You stated that there are many characters and it may be difficult to sort fact from fiction. This helps me know what to expect. I will give it a try.
Trixie Mandap
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Trixie Mandap »

It looks like interesting, to be honest I love Historical Fiction genre so I got interested in this book.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. I like some historical fiction. This one sounds like one I would like. I'll have to give it a try.
enojojoseph
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enojojoseph.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by enojojoseph »

The story about Emilie has an interesting unfolding plot, however I am not a fan of native history, thanks for the review.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I really liked your review as it helped me to understand the book better. I'm not too much of a fan of historical fiction but it seems like an interesting book. I like that there's a lot of details and history information in the book but it's sad to hear that all of the details overwhelm the actual story. It's tough to find the right balance between telling a good story and providing details and historical facts. Thanks for your review.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Sounds like the history buff needed a fiction editor to buff up the dramatic tension in his story! At least it's historically accurate. There's nothing worse than Bad History in novels!
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

LOL I felt like the reviewer kept saying, "It's great! But it's got a lot of characters..." "It's great! But it's a little dry..." "It's great! But hard to follow..." Sounds like it was a hard book to review! Thank goodness, most of the times, these books are still easier to read than to review! ;)
charmaineperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmaineperit.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by charmaineperit »

I like how the author did thorough research. Reader might as well be careful in reading this because of the fiction that might be mixed with history. It sounds interesting but I don't think I'll be reading this book because the story is hard to follow and characters are hard to track.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

Historical fiction can certainly be tricky to handle when comes to the balance between excitingly fictional and dryly historical; one must be entertaining but also accurate. The time period and location intrigue me and I'm able to tolerate a higher amount of dry narrative, so I might give this a go. Thank you for the insightful review!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Iemaixiong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Iemaixiong »

:o

This sounds like a very interesting book. I would like to read more about it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”