Official Review: The Supervisor by Tod Benjamin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Official Review: The Supervisor by Tod Benjamin

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Supervisor" by Tod Benjamin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Supervisor by Tod Benjamin, is a historical mystery thriller novel. It is about a salesman, Bernie Baker, who has several events unfolding in his life at the same time. He met a woman with whom he has fallen in love, he was promoted to supervisor after just a short time, and he became a witness in a murder case. Although he did not actually witness the exact incident, he became very entangled in the entire situation.

Bernie Baker has proven to be very naive and does not realize when he is placing himself in danger. His level of naïveté was a great source of annoyance for me, as I was expecting him to be more sophisticated; considering his age and job title. He did experience a small amount of character development, in that he learned when to talk, and when to smile and nod. Unfortunately, he did not evolve regarding his very trusting, simple nature, which bothered me a little.

There were some twists in the novel which were good and unexpected. I was, however, a bit thrown off, because the setting was not what I was expecting; however, it worked for the story. I also liked that some of the relationships were able to evolve over the course of the story, considering the entire events took place in less than a month.

The story picked up too slow for my liking, and at points I found myself asking what the point was. Although there were no obvious plot holes, there were too many instances of ‘fluff’; putting in unnecessary information. Most of the conversations that were supplied in detail, did not contribute to the main story. As a mystery thriller, I expected way more drama, action and excitement. What I got was a lot of conversations and gossip. What these did was give way more backstory to secondary and other supporting characters than it contributed to the conflict in the story.

This was not a very exciting book for me. I cannot say that I liked it very much. I am giving this book 2 out of 4 stars as it was a great source of disappointment. Its plot content was not bad and it was not a horrible read, however, it was not very intriguing. I would not be able to recommend this book to mystery and thriller lovers, until the fluff has been removed, and more excitement injected.

The Supervisor
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Thanks for your honesty! It can be very disappointing when mystery thrillers come up short on the excitement. Nonetheless the book does have an interesting storyline despite its shortcomings. I am more curious about the events after he witnessed the murder than the romance.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this could be interesting. It's too bad that it's so slow. That would drive me nuts, so I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks forthe review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
chrisphillips1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chrisphillips1 »

Agree with others 100%
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

There are times when I read a book and I think, "It's not bad, it's just so boring. Please, I just want to stop reading." The editing, grammatically speaking is fine. The storyline is fine. It's all fine. But boring. Yep, I've been there.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Well at least you stuck with it to the end!! As much as I love thrillers, I have been thoroughly discouraged from reading this book. Thanks for such an honest review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Character developer is important in a sparkling story as this. Slow pace is certainly not for me and I tired to battle one these days to finish it. The premise seem intriguing but sadly its effect hold me on bay. Thank you for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Mouricia25 wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 17:53 It is about a salesman, Bernie Baker
Am I the only one who can't get past this name!? I often spend hours wondering what I would name characters if I were to write. I wonder what made this author choose that name :lol2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

NL Hartje wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 01:33
Mouricia25 wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 17:53 It is about a salesman, Bernie Baker
Am I the only one who can't get past this name!? I often spend hours wondering what I would name characters if I were to write. I wonder what made this author choose that name :lol2:
Haha, I would not have chosen this name at all!!
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

ccrews0408 wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 22:25 Well at least you stuck with it to the end!! As much as I love thrillers, I have been thoroughly discouraged from reading this book. Thanks for such an honest review.
I had to haha! I don't normally quit books, and so I have encountered worse! haha
aribear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aribear »

Well explained review. I agree from the information that a thriller would be more eventful and intriguing as you said. An indirect witness of a murder? I'd expect a turn table of events.
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

A naïve character can be a great source of disappointment if they do not learn and grow! It is unfortunate that this book was so slow-moving and lacked excitement. Thank you for your honest review.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Slow paced novels can mean to be irritating especially when it was supposed to be a thriller. Yours was a honest and detailed review; thanks for that.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Penny Lee wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 13:22 A naïve character can be a great source of disappointment if they do not learn and grow! It is unfortunate that this book was so slow-moving and lacked excitement. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you understanding! Omg! It is nice when other people understand the frustration.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Seems like you are half-an-half with this book. Now I cant decide whether or not I should read it. Story line shouldn't have been at a relatively inactive pace considering its genre mystery and thrillers which is notably more energetic in general terms.

Return to “Historical Fiction”