Official Review: The Aztecs and nature by Diana Schott

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Aztecs and nature by Diana Schott

Post by Emmanae »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Aztecs and nature" by Diana Schott.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Aztecs and Nature by Diana Schott tells a tale of the Aztec people and some of their beliefs surrounding herbal medicine. The book has each page in English and then again in Spanish so that more readers may be reached. I found this to be a thoughtful gesture, and perhaps easier for an author when starting out as opposed to listing separate copies of the book in English and Spanish.

Schott begins with a brief history of the Aztecs, explaining their nomadic beginning. She describes them as creative, agricultural, as everyone always does, but pointed out that they also had a history of having warriors and cruelty within their ranks. Schott’s need to point out this fact made me uncomfortable as I feel that all peoples have or have had some level of cruelty inside of them.

Schott details the different flowers that Montezuma kept, and for what purposes. She goes on to describe how herbal medicine is making a comeback in these modern times. She includes a few specific examples of different plants and how she believes the Aztecs were correct in their belief about the healing benefits stored within. Schott even provides us with a recipe for an ointment made from tomato roots.

I found The Aztecs and Nature to be interesting. I studied biomedical sciences in college, and have always had a great deal of interest in alternate medicines, though I don’t personally believe in most of them. Schott quotes many reference materials in this account, which some readers may find verbose, but I found them to be rather insightful.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. On page seventeen there were a number of errors. One of these errors was a picture of a marigold labeled as a tomato, which made me wonder if it was possible that that page alone had missed an editor. The book was also in an odd format on my Kindle, it was like someone took a page of a textbook and scanned it, and then uploaded it as a pdf on my kindle. The size of text was very small, couldn’t be adjusted, and at times I had to squint even while up close to try to make out the words on the page. If page 17 had been edited properly, and if it was formatted for e-readers, I would have given The Aztecs and Nature 4 out of 4 stars.

The Aztecs and nature
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emmanae's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like the old ways, the traditional ways. They suit our health and hearts better even our ways of life. From where I come, in our old days our people were born farmers so after a hard day of work all the people used to go to a lake and have a bath on evening. They are healthy as ever even having a bath on evening which would result on most people attracting cold and caught. The secret for this is near the lakes there are herbs when the water washes to the shore the essence of herbs mix with the water causing a persons body to be very healthy. I think I can truly enjoy this book! Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Emmanae

Post by Emmanae »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 10:43 I like the old ways, the traditional ways. They suit our health and hearts better even our ways of life. From where I come, in our old days our people were born farmers so after a hard day of work all the people used to go to a lake and have a bath on evening. They are healthy as ever even having a bath on evening which would result on most people attracting cold and caught. The secret for this is near the lakes there are herbs when the water washes to the shore the essence of herbs mix with the water causing a persons body to be very healthy. I think I can truly enjoy this book! Thank you!
You're welcome! :)
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I hate it when a book comes in a PDF for an ereader and the text is super tiny. It makes for such an uncomfortable reading experience, constantly zooming in and out just to read the rest of the line. Thanks for the heads up, sounds like an interesting book!
Emmanae

Post by Emmanae »

DustinPBrown wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 08:56 I hate it when a book comes in a PDF for an ereader and the text is super tiny. It makes for such an uncomfortable reading experience, constantly zooming in and out just to read the rest of the line. Thanks for the heads up, sounds like an interesting book!
I was overly optimistic and tried to change the text size.Then the next book I read had such large text, it took me a minute to figure out why :doh:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds very informative if it's a subject that interests you. I've never really felt the need to know more about the Aztecs, so I think I'll skip this. Thanks for the great information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I have always embraced traditional healing, however given our rapid moving society, we are rather more time constrained hence one cannot always go after traditional healing in all cases especially for more serious illnesses. This was an agreeable review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's resourceful to have the Spanish and English versions in the same book! The book sounds interesting and informative. Thanks for the review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Emmanae wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 23:51 One of these errors was a picture of a marigold labeled as a tomato, which made me wonder if it was possible that that page alone had missed an editor.
That is very worrying. I like the sound of the book and the Spanish/English text made me think of giving it to a friend whose daughter currently lives in Mexico, but the imperfections you list are off-putting - what a shame. Thanks for drawing the book to my attention.

Return to “Historical Fiction”