Official Review: Redemption in time by William Clark

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Redemption in time by William Clark

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Redemption in time" by William Clark.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Redemption in Time by William Clark is a science fiction novel that explores the idea of time travel. The characters that travel back in time find themselves in the late 1800’s in the western part of the U.S.

Bruce Taylor has discovered how to travel in time. In fact, he has made several trips back to Montana. In particular, he has revisited the battle of the Little Big Horn. On one of these trips he left something behind. Greg Gander is an archeologist. On one of his digs in Montana, he finds a strange artifact and circumstances lead him to seek out Mr. Taylor to help him identify it. These two become friends and initiate a series of events that affect not only their only lives but all of history.

William Clark has created a mind-blowing story about the possibilities of time travel. He introduces several characters that eventually find themselves in a different period. Will they be able to return or will they remain in the past? Another main character is the government. Government agents want to get their hands on the time travel technology. What are their intentions? Who will control the time travel machine?

Being a book that deals with time travel, there are two different settings. The modern time setting is the year 2013. This setting is familiar to us as the characters are using cell phones, internet and modern appliances. The characters that travel back in time find themselves in different western states, from Oregon to Texas, in the 1800’s. Here they must relearn basic survival skills. Food, clothing, shelter, and personal protection become priorities.

The author’s description of the Battle of the Little Big Horn was very well done. His interest in this time period is seen in the vivid descriptions and accuracy of the battles and names of those involved. He creates a mood of suspense and mystery as we follow the different characters in the different time periods. Written from the third person point of view, we share the experiences of the characters as they try to survive without modern technology. Those who return from the past must evade government officials.

The one thing I did not like about the book was the constant use of acronyms. I counted up to 25 acronyms, most of which are not explained. Some are fairly common, such as DOD and CIA. Many others are unfamiliar for people not connected to government bureaus, such as JOTC and PNM.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The writing and the plot were excellent. I would happily give this book more than a four because of the excellent writing. One drawback was the long list of unexplained acronyms. There are also grammar and formatting problems throughout the book.

I recommend this book to people who enjoy science fiction, especially stories that venture into the theme of time travel.

Redemption in time
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

Historical books always have been a intriguing theme for me, since there one can learn how it was back in time where the technology & science were not in nowdays level. The past is part of our development history and I'm fond in knowing more on how the things were meant to function. Your review gives very positive notes to this book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ida123 wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 12:25 Historical books always have been a intriguing theme for me, since there one can learn how it was back in time where the technology & science were not in nowdays level. The past is part of our development history and I'm fond in knowing more on how the things were meant to function. Your review gives very positive notes to this book.
This author did an excellent job of combining time travel with a specific historical event. He writes about his favorite event in history, so he really presents events in a realistic way. I truly enjoyed his writing.
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

Well, this must be a must read than
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Even though I have always hated history...I do agree with Ida123 that we need to know where we are coming from, to know where we are going so this book seems interesting with time travel experience entwined in the plot
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

prettysmart wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:37 Even though I have always hated history...I do agree with Ida123 that we need to know where we are coming from, to know where we are going so this book seems interesting with time travel experience entwined in the plot
I have found that reading historical fiction makes history much more interesting. The author helps you learn names and events in an enjoyable way. Hope you give it a try.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

When it comes to historical books, it is always important to get the facts of the era right. On that front, I commend the author. Otherwise, the premise doesn't appeal to me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:30 When it comes to historical books, it is always important to get the facts of the era right. On that front, I commend the author. Otherwise, the premise doesn't appeal to me.
Thanks for reading!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Intriguing! The time travel certainly helps us to get a glimpse of the past and the present; it's people, life style, standard of living. What lit-a-bulb in my mind was that we to can time travel back and forth in our own mind may be to past lives as well. Thank you for sharing this book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 21:51 Intriguing! The time travel certainly helps us to get a glimpse of the past and the present; it's people, life style, standard of living. What lit-a-bulb in my mind was that we to can time travel back and forth in our own mind may be to past lives as well. Thank you for sharing this book!
The fun thing about this book are the special twists the author adds to the time travel aspect. His writing was really spectacular.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

The formatting errors would probably drive me crazy! Thanks for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:30 When it comes to historical books, it is always important to get the facts of the era right. On that front, I commend the author. Otherwise, the premise doesn't appeal to me.
I chose this book because of the history. The other twists just added to it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read books with a lot of acronyms. It's really annoying to constantly be googling them to figure out what they are. Still, it would be interesting to find myself back in the 1800s. It would be interesting what I would have to learn. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 11:53 I've read books with a lot of acronyms. It's really annoying to constantly be googling them to figure out what they are. Still, it would be interesting to find myself back in the 1800s. It would be interesting what I would have to learn. Thanks for the review.
That was really the only thing I did not like. The rest of the book was excellent. I would have liked to give it a 5!!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

RebeccasReading wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 21:54 The formatting errors would probably drive me crazy! Thanks for the review.
I think they would too, normally. This book held my interest and really kept me glued with all the different twists the author threw in. The book itself is really an excellent read. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Historical Fiction”