Official Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Re: Official Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by Gods Monkey »

I appreciate the reviewer deducting a star for the grammatical errors, just because so many reviewers mention the errors then still give a perfect rating. However I found the summary a bit hard to follow, with no true distinction between stories. Also I found the lack of mention of the horrific very real feeling war scene the book starts with to be a flaw in the review. Those with PTSD could not read this book due to that scene, so I feel it should be at least mentioned in the review.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

It seems to me that 'Something About Ann' follows the well-known plot of two people from the opposite side of the war who passionately fall in love. I am not a huge fan of romance stories but nevertheless, I like war tales.Plus, you mention that the book is a cozy read and I will certainly explore it.
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
Neo_fabulous_001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Neo_fabulous_001 »

Thanks for that beautiful review piece, though I have not read the book 'something about Ann' I think its a good one with lots of lessons to be derived from as it will aid individuals on various thoughts pertaining to life issues. Thanks once again and also to BOTD
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Short story collections are sometimes hit or miss with me, but this one sounds really interesting. I’m curious to see how Ann fits into all of these soldiers’ stories. Thanks for writing a review.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book certainly sounds different other Vietnam War-era books I've read and I love historic fiction, so it might be worth a read. It's a shame about the errors, but if the plot proves to be as compelling as promised, I could make it past those. Thank you for the thorough review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

The fact that this focuses on the Vietnam War has me intrigued but I'm a little confused is this a collection of short stories or is it short stories within one story? Haha I don't know if I'm making any sense. I guess I'll just have to check out the sample. Good job on the review!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I normally snap up historical fiction, but I'm not a fan of the era. Plus, the story format is not something I gravitate toward. However, I will admit to finding the method of storytelling here interesting. It's a shame about the errors, but it sounds like they didn't take away too much from the story, which is a good thing. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Great review! I'd love to take a chance on this feel-good book. At least it only has some minimal errors that are absolutely tolerable. Anyway, thanks for your hard work~
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It would be interesting to read about the brotherhood of the soldiers coping with PTSD. Thanks for a thorough review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I hope to read this war novella about Ann after the Vietnamese war. The cause and effect of this war especially has intrigued me because of the involvement of the US in a ravished country. Thanks for the review.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295

Post by tamdlyte »

My father just barely snuck by that war, it "ending" as he was coming of age... so I am fascinated by the stories here, sad for the soldiers coming home and trying to adapt to civy life again and wondering how my childhood life would have been different a few months one way or the other and my father had been sent. These kinds of stories lend themselves to introspection of this sort.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by eddix »

Thanks for this very detailed review. It has helped me decide that I would like to read this book and benefit from its wise quotes.
Babypujari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babypujari.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Babypujari »

Thanks for your efforts for such a wonderful review. Though I found it bit lengthy, but can understand the necessity. And the book sounds very
interesting.
JayJoseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jayjoseph.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by JayJoseph »

Katerina Katapodi wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 08:12 This book ''Something about Ann'' written by Vickie Noel, is really an original interesting book, and it has unique content. The main hero Ann Minh Bourdian alias Trung, is trying to survive, after war of Vietna, where many soldiers were killed, and had later difficulties to settle in their country.-This is a book of adventure, specially when she meets a man who became her partner a bit later, and they both shared their experiences of adventure as it happened later.
The book points out, hard and unpredicted experiences, that may happen to someone,-here to both heros-and it also points out,the uniqueness and particularity,of someon'es life, compared to the one of others, and in each case, the effort to adapt to a new reality, that noone knows what it will bring further in future.
The word ''Obscurity is Your Security'', describes the way and procedure in Ann's life to facing always new experienecs, along with her partner, and ''walking in the dark''' this way, but hard incidents in her (their life), make her suffer and struggle to overcome problems, BUT also life makes her more wise. Facts end by being memories, and regardless of how sad and hard life is for her, she prefers to go ahead, and live only with memories, from her experience, that are ''luggage for her trip in future'', and from which she finally takes advantage to continue living and adapting to reality. The successof this book, that contains 22 chapter, is that all chapters, throughout book, are cohesive among them, and reader would be curious in reading this book to the end. I give 3 of 4 Stars to book, easily 3 Stars..!
This quote is very informative. The review is also detailed and gives a clear explanation of the book. Anyone who goes through the review can easily understand the contents of the book.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a nicely written book with some well-developed characters. I could easily see myself reading this one based on the sample I read. It's a shame the errors led to you having to subtract a star - I had a similar dilemma with a brilliant thriller I just reviewed. Thanks for your detailed review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”