Official Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Official Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by Vickie Noel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something About Ann" by J. Everett Prewitt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Things are not what they appear.”

I remember this song from the animation, “Pocahontas 2” I’d watched as a kid. It aptly describes the Vietnamese woman, Ann Minh Bourdain alias Trung Trac who lived according to the fundamental rule of Comrade Choh: “Obscurity is your security.” At least, she did, up until she met and lost her senses over Clarence Bankston, a Vietnam War veteran.

Unable to regulate her emotions, Ann initiates conversation with the elusive Bankston who’d rather not remember his days in Vietnam. However, upon realization that they were both affected by the war, they sought solace in each other until events spiraled out of control and culminated in drastic outcomes. Tough decisions had to be made but she found comfort in the thought: “Whatever happens, wherever I end up, at least I have the memories.”

Ann, or more accurately, Trung, had reasons for her actions as she turned out to be totally different from the initial image she’d portrayed. Years later, she crossed paths with Bankston again, in the unlikeliest of circumstances.

Published in 2017 by Northland Publishing Company, J. Everett Prewitt’s Something About Ann: Stories of Love and Brotherhood is a historical fiction novella of 22 chapters alongside eleven short stories which tell of a group of African-American soldiers as they try to stabilize their lives upon returning from the Vietnam War. Most of them have to deal with the trauma and violence in its wake, sometimes leaning on each other to pull through.

In the story, Lucky, Raphael “Lucky” Holland soon learns that ‘luck’ has no business in failing to play the player as he is ousted by a stranger with a much darker past. The Education of Xavier Warfield sees Xavier finding motivation in least likely places, understanding that the emphasis placed on the present far supersedes past errors. Marcus Glover in A Sound Decision takes the best course of action in a bid to avoid the horror of a sound he never wanted to hear again. With One Exception tells of a militant African-American who can’t get over the age-long racial discrimination until an unexpected friendship with a white Vietnam veteran is forged in its stead.

The Gift tells of Myron Turner whose special abilities lead to connections with certain people on an uncanny frequency. Leroy Casper is enjoying A Good Life till a blast from the past barges into his life and ruffles up the calm he has created. In The Tell, Maurice is taught that everybody has a ‘tell,’ “that little something that gives you away, shows your hand.” Thankfully, he reaches a wise conclusion. After crashing from a lofty law career, Ralph Gaines also loses The Best Seat in the House to a young bully and uses a very abrupt approach in resolving the insult.

The Last Time I Saw Willie recounts Raymond’s experience with a severely competitive friend who taught him about confrontation and the principles behind the policy, “Leave no man behind.” A Good Day to Be a Man proves that true manhood is not achieved by aggressiveness. Lieutenant Raymond Williams will never forget what happened at 575th Headquarters and that’s why he still plays the Slow Songs.

I would describe this book as a clean breath of fresh air; it came to me at a point where I barely enjoyed my reads. It was a truly refreshing collection. Written in the third person POV, it embodies perfect suspense with events flowing seamlessly into each other, creating an intense web of actions that makes the book “unputdownable.” The writing style is highly conversational and down to earth, easily understood and intellectually stimulating.

Perhaps the biggest strength of this book is that it is character driven. Each character received his fair share of attention and I got to understand them personally, especially on their thoughts and actions. To further explain this, a classic example would be one precise moment when you read what is happening to one character at the exact moment when something significant was happening to a previous character. This really made my mind spin. It was a herculean task choosing my favorite character as I felt a bond with every single one as they took turns being in the spotlight.

I especially ravished the healthy dose of quotes garnishing the different stories. Although it would appear that some of these quotes are made up and infused as part of the dialogue, they still ring true in daily life scenarios such as:
“There’s an expiration date when you run the streets.”
“When the same bad things keep happening to you, maybe you’re an accomplice in your own demise.”

In addition, I relished several beautiful figurative expressions and laugh-out-loud moments dominant in the book like:
“Both smiled at the dance they had just completed.”
“Gail...glared at him like his grandmother would when she wanted him to be on his best behavior.”

However, as much of a fan as I am of this book, it wasn’t without flaws. I did come across a handful of errors sprinkled sparingly across its 33 chapters. They include wrong word usage, a few misused tenses and punctuation omissions. There was also a recurring problem of a space after an open quote before the main speech, like this: “ That’ll be the day.” Still, the errors weren't too distracting.

Author of ‘Snake Walkers’ and ‘A Long Way Back,’ J. Everett Prewitt has done an amazing job piecing together Something About Ann: Stories of Love and Brotherhood and I look forward to reading more from him. Despite the aforementioned discrepancies, I would have given a 4 star rating simply because I genuinely don’t think that a full star be deducted for the errors. Nonetheless, my official rating will have to be 3 out of 4 stars. Readers more inclined to heavy romance or edge-of-your-seat adventures may likely not fancy this book that much, but it is recommended to those who are up for cozy reads with lots of lessons.

Something About Ann
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vickie Noel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Thanks for your thorough review! This really sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'll definitely add it to my shelves.
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

This book ''Something about Ann'' written by Vickie Noel, is really an original interesting book, and it has unique content. The main hero Ann Minh Bourdian alias Trung, is trying to survive, after war of Vietna, where many soldiers were killed, and had later difficulties to settle in their country.-This is a book of adventure, specially when she meets a man who became her partner a bit later, and they both shared their experiences of adventure as it happened later.
The book points out, hard and unpredicted experiences, that may happen to someone,-here to both heros-and it also points out,the uniqueness and particularity,of someon'es life, compared to the one of others, and in each case, the effort to adapt to a new reality, that noone knows what it will bring further in future.
The word ''Obscurity is Your Security'', describes the way and procedure in Ann's life to facing always new experienecs, along with her partner, and ''walking in the dark''' this way, but hard incidents in her (their life), make her suffer and struggle to overcome problems, BUT also life makes her more wise. Facts end by being memories, and regardless of how sad and hard life is for her, she prefers to go ahead, and live only with memories, from her experience, that are ''luggage for her trip in future'', and from which she finally takes advantage to continue living and adapting to reality. The successof this book, that contains 22 chapter, is that all chapters, throughout book, are cohesive among them, and reader would be curious in reading this book to the end. I give 3 of 4 Stars to book, easily 3 Stars..!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

KFree_Reads wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 07:46 Thanks for your thorough review! This really sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'll definitely add it to my shelves.
It really was very enjoyable, please do let me know what you think when you get around to reading it. Lovely avi, by the way. :wink:
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Vickie Noel wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 08:55
KFree_Reads wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 07:46 Thanks for your thorough review! This really sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'll definitely add it to my shelves.
It really was very enjoyable, please do let me know what you think when you get around to reading it. Lovely avi, by the way. :wink:
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Katerina Katapodi wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 08:12 This book ''Something about Ann'' written by Vickie Noel, is really an original interesting book, and it has unique content. The main hero Ann Minh Bourdian alias Trung, is trying to survive, after war of Vietna, where many soldiers were killed, and had later difficulties to settle in their country.-This is a book of adventure, specially when she meets a man who became her partner a bit later, and they both shared their experiences of adventure as it happened later.
The book points out, hard and unpredicted experiences, that may happen to someone,-here to both heros-and it also points out,the uniqueness and particularity,of someon'es life, compared to the one of others, and in each case, the effort to adapt to a new reality, that noone knows what it will bring further in future.
The word ''Obscurity is Your Security'', describes the way and procedure in Ann's life to facing always new experienecs, along with her partner, and ''walking in the dark''' this way, but hard incidents in her (their life), make her suffer and struggle to overcome problems, BUT also life makes her more wise. Facts end by being memories, and regardless of how sad and hard life is for her, she prefers to go ahead, and live only with memories, from her experience, that are ''luggage for her trip in future'', and from which she finally takes advantage to continue living and adapting to reality. The successof this book, that contains 22 chapter, is that all chapters, throughout book, are cohesive among them, and reader would be curious in reading this book to the end. I give 3 of 4 Stars to book, easily 3 Stars..!
Thanks so much Katerina, I agree with your words, well, except the one that said I wrote the book :D Wouldn't want J. Prewitt on my tails for copyright infringement now...Lol. Ann truly got wiser with her experiences. Thanks for commenting.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors. I can't imagine what it's like coming back from war and trying to integrate back into your normal life! Seems like these stories would be very telling. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Very true, those horrific sounds never really go away and it's a struggle everyday to readjust to daily life. Only goes to show the psychological damage war causes on people, aside from the obvious physical ones. Thanks for commenting, kandscreeley.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Sounds like a very intense emotional scenario. I cannot imagine attempting to pull my life together while in that state of mind. Great review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

NL Hartje wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 17:26 Sounds like a very intense emotional scenario. I cannot imagine attempting to pull my life together while in that state of mind. Great review!
Absolutely, it would be tough trying to start all over, especially if one's alone. That's why most of them maintained contact, for emotional support when needed. Thanks for stopping by NL Hartje :D
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Wow, you really gave it a spin with this long review. The cover is quite eye-catching and I like the title. I also like the storyline, it portrays humanity. Good job on the review.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Arrigo_Lupori wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 15:14 Wow, you really gave it a spin with this long review. The cover is quite eye-catching and I like the title. I also like the storyline, it portrays humanity. Good job on the review.
Such kind words, Arrigo_Lupori, thanks a lot for stopping by :D
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your thorough review. The topics of PTSD and the adjustments soldiers have to deal with when returning home have always been interesting to me. It's too bad about the errors. Hopefully, the author will use your constructive criticism and use a good editor next time.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

bookowlie wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 12:15 I enjoyed reading your thorough review. The topics of PTSD and the adjustments soldiers have to deal with when returning home have always been interesting to me. It's too bad about the errors. Hopefully, the author will use your constructive criticism and use a good editor next time.
I'm humbled by your words. Thanks for commenting. I equally hope the author does just that; after all, a good editor equals perfect scores!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm glad you enjoyed this book of short stories so much. It is a shame about finding numerous grammatical errors.

Return to “Historical Fiction”