Official Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Official Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's thought and discussion-provoking BOTD is one that pulls you in and doesn't let go until the last page. In getting to know each character on a personal level, readers will come to realize the strength in character development when creating stories of their own. Thank you so much!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

It sounds like this book is an excellent combination of historical fiction, an emotional roller coaster, and a character-driven book which is all wrapped up in easily digestible chunks. The slam dunk of literature may need to be checked out.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Your review of "Something about Ann" written by J. Everett Prewitt" is an insight of how two people is saturated with the war not only for security but difficult to understand why? The author did differentiate her characters, but somehow the story is not only about "Ann." What I didn't gather in your review, is if the character of "Ann" continues with the "African American Soldiers." I think I might have to read the book; because your review left me wanting to read more of what took place in all the chapters.

It was great reading your review.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

Thanks for your review. I also like the figurative expressions and quotes you shared. Your review is enough to make me realize that the book has many characters but it is good to know that each one of them received their fair share of attention. Though I am not a huge fan of historical fiction, I won't mind reading it so I can find out more about Ann and Bankston
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

Thanks for your review. I also read the sample and found the characters of Ann and Clarence to be quite intriguing, I definitely wanted to read more! I enjoy this style of storytelling - short stories with a central theme, so I’m looking forward to diving into it.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that this book provides insight into the lives of soldiers. PTSD is often ubiquitous among this demographic but tends to be overlooked. Bringin it to the limelight earns the author a round of applause.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. Sounds like it is a really good book. Not really what I like to read though.
apwaldrop
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by apwaldrop »

It definitely sounds like a story worth reading. I personally could not fathom how to restart life after a war or having to rejoin society after living that life for awhile. Everything would be very shell shocking to say the least. PTSD is such a hard disorder to have and manage after trauma like military work. The grammatical errors did not make me enjoy the sample less but I felt like the right editor getting the work and going over it could improve that greatly. Thank you for your review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

KFree_Reads wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 07:46 Thanks for your thorough review! This really sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'll definitely add it to my shelves.
The book is good for sure given that it is composed of small stories which I find it quite unique and a good way to ensure that the book does not lose the interesting part along the way.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. It has enough details to enable one choose to read the book or not. I will want to read it also soon to see how Ann faired on and to get a taste of the other stories as well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Wow, wow, and wow! This was a great review. The length of a review does not matter to me as long it has substance. No problem there. When I read the review on Amazon, I knew that this would be a book for me to read. After reading the sample, I had to download the entire book and place on my "currently reading" shelf. I have not had the pleasure of reading any other works by this author, but I will definitely be looking out for more books by him. The combination of your in-depth synopsis of the characters and events inside this book, with the connection to the location of where Clarence lives (Cleveland, Ohio), I found the story-telling to be believable. As I was reading the sample pages and have been born and raised in Cleveland, OH, I was able to connect to the places mentioned in the story. Being able to relate to The Call and Post newspaper that came out on Thursday's which reported news about African Americans that was seldom printed in the other known newspapers in town, I felt a deeper connection to Clarence. I took a walk down memory lane when Clarence an Ann visited Gordon Park and The East Cleveland Police Station, that I still past almost every day as I drive down Euclid Avenue...

Sorry, back to your review! I enjoyed and appreciated the detailed description of each chacter within the book. Your words allowed me to get a glimpse into the lives of the characters which made me want to find out more about them. If you ever have the notion to write a book, I would definitely read your work. Thanks
Samantha333
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha333.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Samantha333 »

Congratulations on BOTD! I read the sample which was very pleasant. Like others, I do appreciate being able to gain a new perspective and a more personal perspective into PTSD and becoming a little better acquainted with understanding what it’s like. Although the text surely drew me in, what also draws me in is the cover art for this book, I really love it! Congratulations again!!!
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Although I like character-driven stories, I won't be reading this one. I don't like reading books with different points of view or stories since I find it hard to relate to the characters. However, I did find fascinating the focus on the Vietnam War and mental health issues. Thank you for the review.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This sounds like it would be an interesting read. I liked your review and how you explained about the novel. Historical fiction is not my favorite genre but I like the idea of short stories about different characters and also like that it's a character driven book. Stories about soldiers coming back from war sounds like a fascinating topic too. Thanks for your review.
oocynthia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by oocynthia »

The story seems quite intriguing, as well as its cover. I'm definitely getting my copy of this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”