Official Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Something About Ann, by J. Everett Prewitt', presents the skeleton of the story and helps us make the necessary decision about reading it!
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

Most of these guys from the war ends up with the psychological therapists. I know it's hard living with memories of gun sounds and desperate screams in your head; which actually may pop up every now and then. This is a great book with tales of war veterans trying to start new lives away from the battle grounds. Will grab a copy soon.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

Your review has some interesting points, and the plot is fairly well described, giving one insight into the work as a whole. However, it could have been shorter and I didn't find the quotations to be as you described.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

An irresistible read about love and brotherhood. It seems exciting and fascinating. I hope I read it someday. Thanks for the review.
sskrout
Favorite Book: The Faith of Helen Keller
Currently Reading: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
Bookshelf Size: 56871
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sskrout »

I like the way this book sounds... (nice review by the way!).... The vets battling with PTSD, the war not being glamorized but showed both sides as victims with much innocent loss of life, and how their individual experiences in the war continued to impact them long after they had returned home.
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

Thanks a lot for the review, the book seems good to read especially because one will find alot to learn from it on ways to find solace from a trauma or time of distress.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I was remise to reading this book but the well-crafted onlinebookclub review convinced me to give a chance. The book had an amazing plot and masterfully developed characters. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

This sounds like a really interesting read - thanks for the great review. I think that this is one to add to the book shelf.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Awesome review. Something about Ann is a fictional story with many elements coming together in a beautiful fashion. The idea of several interconnected stories draw me to this book.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Kay2404
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kay2404.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kay2404 »

It was beautiful to read how this book helped you to get back your love for reading again with the book being described as "a breath of fresh air". The book sounds very interesting from what you desribed and a good read.
Butch Acuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butch-acuna.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Butch Acuna »

It's really a historical fiction, the family name Bourdain is somewhat French, the original colonizers ot Vietnam. Readers should know that Caucasian children sired by American soldiers were treated like outcasts in Vietnam. As for the book. Relationships between a Vietnamese and American servicemen is a common
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

Something About Ann is a fictional piece I would love to read. I love books with proper character development and characters that are very real and engaging. Congrats on BOTD.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I love the suspense aspect of the story and the good development of characters. The review is quite informative. This one has to be on my want-to-read list. Thanks
Oluwasanmi Sele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oluwasanmi Sele »

J. Everett Prewitt in the book "Something About Ann" tries to paint pictures of war memories in parallel lines with love, emotions,romance and feelings. The adventures of war, notably the Vietnam war,will put to test the bravery and valour of a man,let alone a woman. A woman of Ann's stature and calibre,to have taken part in the war,portrayed her as manly and a brave soldier.

However strong and valiant anyone is ; love,emotions,feelings and romance tend to reflect human frailties. Trung seemed to have found love in Clarence Bankston, which cushioned the harsh Vietnam war experiences...as she recalls:... “Whatever happens, wherever I end up, at least I have the memories.”

"Something About Ann"....by J. Everett Prewitt makes a good and intersting reading.
Elizabeth Mwaniki
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elizabeth Mwaniki »

This review is comprehensive. It highlights intriguing story lines and draws valuable lessons learnt under each story line. The strengths as well as the weaknesses of the book are clearly stated, thus making the review well balanced.

Return to “Historical Fiction”