Official Review: A King Ensnared by J. R. Tomlin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Boydbunch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boydbunch.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Official Review: A King Ensnared by J. R. Tomlin

Post by Boydbunch »

This sounds like a read that I would greatly enjoy. I am looking forward to it. Great intriguing review.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Kat Berg wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 22:50 I enjoyed your review very much! Your enthusiasm for the book and the quality of it made me want to read it, even though I am an indifferent reader of historical books. You started it out in a way that engaged me right from the beginning and I loved the way you ended: "The next period will be treated in the next book. The author is forgiven!" It rounded out the review very well. :) Thanks for the engaging review.
Thank you for your very kind comments! :oops: This was one of the better historical novels I have read.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your well-written, thorough review. I loved your description of historical writings often being drier than dirt - so true! You made the story sound interesting. I am off to take a look at the Amazon sample.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
greenstripedgiraffe

bookowlie wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 11:00 I enjoyed your well-written, thorough review. I loved your description of historical writings often being drier than dirt - so true! You made the story sound interesting. I am off to take a look at the Amazon sample.
Thank you for your kind comments! :oops: I greatly enjoyed this book!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

How splendid the theme of this book is! Especially since it comprises of British History....admirable review !
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

I love your view on history! It is nice to have a reminder that people who lived in the past are still people. Just with different and sometimes very interesting, lifestyles. Personally, the subject of history has never been my favorite especially in a school setting. I have trouble memorizing important numbers and dates. Recently, I've discovered a love of historical fiction and it has done wonders to my views on history. Your enthusiasm in the review makes me want to give this book a chance. Great job!
greenstripedgiraffe

Essentially_Literate wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 21:26 I love your view on history! It is nice to have a reminder that people who lived in the past are still people. Just with different and sometimes very interesting, lifestyles. Personally, the subject of history has never been my favorite especially in a school setting. I have trouble memorizing important numbers and dates. Recently, I've discovered a love of historical fiction and it has done wonders to my views on history. Your enthusiasm in the review makes me want to give this book a chance. Great job!
Thank you for your kind remarks! I hope that you do pick this book up and enjoy it!
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

inaramid wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 03:28
"In reality, the people who lived in history are much like we are today, only born into different circumstances."
Completely agree! This sounds like something that would make a good series over at the History Channel. I'm going to add this to my to-read list. Thanks for the recommendation!
Me too! I’m a fan of the Outlander series. This looks so good, providing some background history of the centuries prior to it. I love it when authors can make their characters so real. That is an incredible gift.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I like reading British history, it is always so scandalous! And I like reading novels which flesh out that history adding intrigue to intrigue, scandal to scandal and speculation to historical fact.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Thanks for your review! I would LOVE to read this now! When you said that he writes as if he had met these characters in real life and that he doesn't whitewash anything, I was sold.
greenstripedgiraffe

Camille Turner wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 21:50 Thanks for your review! I would LOVE to read this now! When you said that he writes as if he had met these characters in real life and that he doesn't whitewash anything, I was sold.
I hope you do get to read it - very lovely book! Thanks for your kind comments!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Pretty much all I know about Henry IV is from Shakespeare and, great as he may have been in the literary stakes, he certainly wasn't a reliable historian. It would be interesting to look at that time from a Scottish perspective. Thanks for a very thorough review and for the recommendation.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I just finished reading a book about the wife of James IV (sister to Henry VIII) and am currently fascinated by the European monarchy. It is hard to remember sometimes that kings and queens went through great struggles. First they lived during the centuries in which the plague and other horrible diseases and illnesses were not identified, diagnosed, or treated. The countries were also in constant conflict with one another, putting the kings and their heirs at great risk. It makes for a fascinating story if done well and I'm so glad to know this book is well written. I will have to remember to read this series. I am so glad I saw this review!
greenstripedgiraffe

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 15:08 I just finished reading a book about the wife of James IV (sister to Henry VIII) and am currently fascinated by the European monarchy. It is hard to remember sometimes that kings and queens went through great struggles. First they lived during the centuries in which the plague and other horrible diseases and illnesses were not identified, diagnosed, or treated. The countries were also in constant conflict with one another, putting the kings and their heirs at great risk. It makes for a fascinating story if done well and I'm so glad to know this book is well written. I will have to remember to read this series. I am so glad I saw this review!
I'm glad you found the review also! I hope that you enjoy the book.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I'm not too much into history, precisely because historians just care about plain facts and dates. It turns out to be boring, at least for me. However, this book seems to be written in a story style that allures the reader to imagine himself in that period of time as if he were a bystander there, according to your review. Good thing the subjects described in this history book are portrayed realistically with their good and bad things. I think if I have to read a history book, I'll pick this one. Thanks for the detailed review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”