Official Review: Oak Eternal by John Ploetz

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Official Review: Oak Eternal by John Ploetz

Post by RebeccasReading »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Oak Eternal" by John Ploetz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A fascinating tale of how one object can cause a century of problems!

Oak Eternal: A House Concealed by John Ploetz is a novel about the history of an ancient oak tree. The tree is in St. Paul, Minnesota. In the late 19th century, St. Paul was a rapidly growing town. The Native Americans struggled to adjust to the influx of white men taking over their region. The two cultures frequently clashed. The ancient oak tree was an important spiritual site for the Native Americans. Tensions between the groups escalated significantly after a farmer decided to buy the land and build his home next to the oak.

This information is discovered by our modern-day narrator, John Stogh. John is new to the neighborhood and unemployed. After an odd dinner with some of his new neighbors, John decides to do a little digging into the history of their home. His investigation becomes much more complex than he originally estimated. The more he learns about the house the more questions he has.

Since the farm was first built next to the ancient oak, the home has seemed to be cursed. Everyone who has lived on the land or has gotten involved with the people there has met a dark end. John finds details of grisly murders, mysterious accidents, and supernatural occurrences. At the center of everything is the oak tree. He must try to solve the mystery before he becomes another victim.

This novel was very entertaining. The mystery is immersive and pulled me in quickly. Once I got into the heart of the mystery, I couldn’t put the book down. The premise of the book was very interesting. It was a completely unique concept. The mystery wasn’t about one person or family. The mystery was about the power of nature and how our actions influence everything around us. The ancient oak tree was once a source of good in the area. However, its power became twisted over time. The evil behavior of the people who lived next to the tree turned it into a source of darkness.

One thing I really loved about this book was its focus on Native American culture. In my opinion, it’s a very underrepresented topic in our modern world. Oak Eternal describes the fascinating world of Native American spirituality and their attempts to assimilate into American society. It gives great insight on how difficult it was for the Native Americans to adjust to life after the white men moved in.

As much as I enjoyed the story, I had a lot of trouble connecting with the main character. I did not find him to be relatable. It didn’t make sense to me why he felt the need to lie and hide his identity as he conducted his investigation. The author gave several hints about the character's past, such as his former jobs and alcoholism. However, the hints never turn into anything more substantial. The lack of background information about the main character made it difficult for me to care about what happened to him.

The most disappointing part about this novel was the ending. The author intentionally left it open-ended. The book created so many mysteries and then never gave any specific solutions. For example, the narrator discovered half a dozen murders related to the oak tree. None of those murderers are ever revealed. This was a frustrating end after I had invested so much energy into those mysteries.

This book was not professionally edited. I noticed quite a few grammatical mistakes, especially run-on sentences. There were also a few occasions where the author used the wrong homonym. For example, he used the word “peeked” instead of “piqued”. These grammatical issues were not particularly distracting.

Overall, this was a fun and intriguing book. Due to the disappointing ending and the grammatical mistakes, I give this book a 3 out of 4 star review. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about mysteries and different cultures.

Oak Eternal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RebeccasReading's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The pretext behind the story seems really interesting. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The Oak tree has been the central point to many cultures. The Druids, for one, regard it as sacred. One account I've read is that the present use of the "mistletoe" during Christmas, where kissing is made with someone underneath it stems from the Druid concept of considering the Oaktree sacred, and so is the mistletoe vine hanging on it. The Native Indians' fixation on the Oaktree reminds me of the Norse sacred tree, the Yggdrasil, where Odin is supposed to take residence. In other places, especially in Asia, big trees like the Balete tree, Ficus tree or Banyan tree are regarded as the home of evil spirits and must be avoided. Oak Eternal is a fascinating story of a tree tied to folklore, superstition, and being a hindrance to the present site development of the locality. Thanks for your informative review.
RebeccasReading

cristinaro wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 10:02 The pretext behind the story seems really interesting. Thank you for your review.
Thanks for reading! Yes, it was a very cool concept.
RebeccasReading

Roggyrus wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 10:08 The Oak tree has been the central point to many cultures. The Druids, for one, regard it as sacred. One account I've read is that the present use of the "mistletoe" during Christmas, where kissing is made with someone underneath it stems from the Druid concept of considering the Oaktree sacred, and so is the mistletoe vine hanging on it. The Native Indians' fixation on the Oaktree reminds me of the Norse sacred tree, the Yggdrasil, where Odin is supposed to take residence. In other places, especially in Asia, big trees like the Balete tree, Ficus tree or Banyan tree are regarded as the home of evil spirits and must be avoided. Oak Eternal is a fascinating story of a tree tied to folklore, superstition, and being a hindrance to the present site development of the locality. Thanks for your informative review.
Very interesting information, thank you! The oak tree has a long and complex history in many different cultures! It sounds like other types of trees also have deep significance in other cultures.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Hmm. A disappointing ending with grammatical mistakes. The premise sounds good, but I'm not sure I'm ready for an open ending. Thanks though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
RebeccasReading

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 15:47 Hmm. A disappointing ending with grammatical mistakes. The premise sounds good, but I'm not sure I'm ready for an open ending. Thanks though!
Yes, the open ending was a tough pill to swallow! Thanks for reading!
RebeccasReading

Open endings are sooo hard! Especially if you expect them to give some sort of explanation and they leave you hanging instead.
[/quote]

Yes, though I had a feeling this book would do that. When I started to get close to the end and nothing was getting explained , I started to get myself prepared for something open ended.

Return to “Historical Fiction”